• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overhang Crease From Inner Well

8 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 2:22 PM, finalfan7asy said:

How common are SA overhang bends caused by the inner well edge? I’ve owned several DD1s and all of them had this issue. Are these creases or bends inevitable if overhang exists? I’m assuming shipping and/or gravity when the slab is upright play a major factor.

IMG_0359.jpeg

It's been my experience that scans like the one above are artifacts of the shadowing that the plastic holding tab casts on the edge of the book  How does this example above look in person - is the edge actually bent all along the near-entirety of the bottom edge, or is it flat and natural looking?

So while overhangs are certainly vulnerable to being damaged by shaken comic syndrome, scans like the one above aren't necessarily examples of it.

Here's an example from the scan of a copy of FF #3 that I used to own.  In person, it was easy to see that the top edge was straight and flat, and it only appeared bent by the shadow cast by the inner well plastic.

image.thumb.png.c8be3d51d6417954837f622284b487a8.png

Edited by namisgr

On 11/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, namisgr said:

It's been my experience that scans like the one above are artifacts of the shadowing that the plastic holding tab casts on the edge of the book  How does this example above look in person - is the edge actually bent all along the near-entirety of the bottom edge, or is it flat and natural looking?

So while overhangs are certainly vulnerable to being damaged by shaken comic syndrome, scans like the one above aren't necessarily examples of it.

You can see the bend along the bottom of the book in person. The bends do not exist at the corners where there is more space. 

On 11/28/2023 at 3:03 PM, finalfan7asy said:

You can see the bend along the bottom of the book in person. The bends do not exist at the corners where there is more space. 

That does sound like damage from being impacted within the well.

Edited by namisgr