• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory sealed cards
1 1

4 posts in this topic

We have 5 to 7 moving boxes of factory-sealed cards from Marvel and Skybox that contain cards from the Olympic basketball team in the ‘90s, NBA Hoops, DC Bloodlines trading cards, Skybox pre-rookie ‘92 AAA basketball and baseball cards, etc. 

How do I go about getting a honest value on our collection?

Thanks,

Tom

On 11/30/2023 at 10:18 AM, Cardguy03 said:

We have 5 to 7 moving boxes of factory-sealed cards from Marvel and Skybox that contain cards from the Olympic basketball team in the ‘90s, NBA Hoops, DC Bloodlines trading cards, Skybox pre-rookie ‘92 AAA basketball and baseball cards, etc. 

How do I go about getting a honest value on our collection?

Thanks,

Tom

Spending days to weeks searching up each and every item's price and condition on eBay, and figuring out its fair market value.

You'll be given awful offers trying to liquidate/pawn it at any such store. They have to make a profit, so they are going to undervalue it 95% of the time.

Only way to get a proper value is to find the street (market) prices yourself. And that takes time.

Edited by stormflora

How can you determine an "Honest Value" of the collection if you have no idea what cards are in the unopened packs?

If I walked into a comic book store with boxes full of comics and said, "how much for all of these Marvel Comics, but you cannot look inside the boxes", what type of response would I get?

If they are not going to be opened then you will need to come up with a FMV for bulk sales and sell them as lots with unknown content, you may want to check eBay "Sold Auction" listings for unopened packs of similar cards and see what folks are paying for them.

From everything I have heard about late 80's/early 90's sports cards is they were mass produced and have very little value. There are a few Marvel Trading Cards from 1990 (91 and 92?) that may have some value, but again, you need to know what you have. Back about 15 years ago at a city wide yard sale my Sister was selling a complete/unopened 1989 Score Baseball Card Set, nobody wanted it, it ended up selling for $5.00 to a Dad and Son who walked by and said" for $5.00, why not?"

Wishing you the best of luck on your sales.:wishluck:

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/why-sports-cards-early-90s-worthless

Edited by marvelmaniac

If the cases or boxes are still factory-sealed, you can find their relative value with a simple eBay search. None of the stuff you mentioned is particularly valuable, but some stuff from the era is worth a few bucks.  Early Marvel cards are in demand, especially sealed material. 

If the cards are loose, and taken from their packs, it complicates things and lessens their value.  Medium moving boxes can hold about a dozen boxes, so if you have have six or seven, even low dollar boxes will add up.