• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detachment not mentioned in grading notes
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I recently got a book back from CGC, which graded it an 8.5.  The grader notes don't mention that the back cover is detached from the bottom staple.  I even included a sticky note mentioning it because I was hoping they would use extra handling care.  Should the notes have mentioned the detachment?

I don't think this defect brings it below an 8.5, though, so I'm not worried about that.  But please correct me if I'm wrong!

On 12/1/2023 at 4:54 PM, Heronext said:

What year was the book published?  Also can you clarify - if back cover is detached at the bottom staple, wouldn't the front cover have to be too?

Here's the cert - Verify CGC Certification | CGC (cgccomics.com).  The front cover is definitely attached, or at least it was when I submitted it.  I think it's called a popped staple, or partial detachment.

In my opinion, it would have to be otherwise perfect to still be an 8.5.  IMO also, there's nothing to really glean by the fact they left it out of the grader notes.  They don't record grader notes for every book, and when they do they don't always mention everything.  My understanding is they are not meant as a comprehensive account of defects for owners, but rather not-always-comprehensive notes that the graders take for their own purposes (thus, "graders' notes").

Edited by Heronext

On 12/1/2023 at 7:51 PM, Tom789 said:

I recently got a book back from CGC, which graded it an 8.5.  The grader notes don't mention that the back cover is detached from the bottom staple.  I even included a sticky note mentioning it because I was hoping they would use extra handling care.  Should the notes have mentioned the detachment?

I don't think this defect brings it below an 8.5, though, so I'm not worried about that.  But please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm a bit confused, why would the back cover be detached but not the front cover? And was anything detached when initially sent?

Also, for that book, any detachment would lower it much more. The 8.5 does not account for any detachment, it is for the creasing and spine stress.

And can you post a picture of it being detached because I don't see that in the images provided by CGC.

And one last question, this one just out of pure curiosity, but why did you send this specific book in?

Edited by William-James88

On 12/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, William-James88 said:

I'm a bit confused, why would the back cover be detached but not the front cover? And was anything detached when initially sent?

Also, for that book, any detachment would lower it much more. The 8.5 does not account for any detachment, it is for the creasing and spine stress.

And can you post a picture of it being detached because I don't see that in the images provided by CGC.

Here is the one picture I took before submitting.  The second picture shows what I call the same defect in a different book except on the front cover.  There is a flap that has "popped" between the staple ends. The cover on the other side does not have the flap.

20230929_092329.thumb.jpg.4b64047351fd356be39572b5f2e0b0b1.jpg

20230427_215444.thumb.jpg.c88abe3c996b3e506b91a4d64301cd92.jpg

On 12/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Tom789 said:

Here is the one picture I took before submitting.  The second picture shows what I call the same defect in a different book except on the front cover.  There is a flap that has "popped" between the staple ends. The cover on the other side does not have the flap.

Ah, thanks I get it now. Ok, technically that does not count as a detached cover defect, so while I'm not sure how I would personally grade it, the grade you got is not out of the realm of possibility. And yeah, they don't write every defect in the notes. So I'd say your cleared and all is OK. 

Still curious about why you picked this specific book to get graded, does it have a special meaning for you?

As a general comment, grading notes seem to be "interesting" more than exhaustive, and are not intended as a checklist of defects. Sometimes they mention hidden defects and sometimes they don't; sometimes they mention clearly visible defects and sometimes they don't. Maybe chalk it up to the graders' personal style? From my experience I can't really see any pattern to how thorough they are.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:20 PM, Tom789 said:

Ah, a chance to expound!  This goes to the recent topic about "Why do some books get graded that I think should not get graded?"  In my case, I'm retired and returning to the hobby after a 25-year absence, so grading is a novel and interesting thing to me. I have some disposable income, and I regard cleaning, pressing and grading my old books and some of the raw books I buy now, as my main form of entertainment.  I'll send these books in even if it's probably a break-even or slight loss.  I'm not a dealer, I don't need money, and so I have no profit incentive.  As an example, here's my latest 25-book submission result, including the book we're talking about.  I guess many here on this forum wouldn't submit most of these books because it doesn't make economic sense, and that's a fine opinion to have, but I don't think it fits me.  In this submission, there are a couple of books I wouldn't have submitted had I known how low the grades would be (FF 37, Batman 178).  They had defects I either did not see, or occurred after they left my hand.  I'm curious how many of these books you would have submitted.

4351883.thumb.jpg.d3af365fad44166653319e515ad4aa44.jpg

I am not the right person to answer that question since I don't make it a habit to submit books. I only do it as part of signature series or if I think it will get a high grade, or if I want to solidify a pedigree. Because I just don't have the space for that many slabs in my home, it's crazy how quickly a long/short box fills. And I personally preffer the look of my books in mylars. So while I do own several slabs, the majority are books I bought and not stuff I sent in. And funny enough, some of the slabbed books I bought I removed from their slabs. 

But none of that is meant to judge in any way, it's just to explain where I'm coming from with slabbing. And I was just curious about your pick.

Turns out you and I have a lot of the same books. I am really curious to see if those two yellow costume Daredevil books you sent ever go up in value. I know I love them and think they are underappreciated.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:25 PM, William-James88 said:

I am not the right person to answer that question since I don't make it a habit to submit books. I only do it as part of signature series or if I think it will get a high grade, or if I want to solidify a pedigree. Because I just don't have the space for that many slabs in my home, it's crazy how quickly a long/short box fills. And I personally preffer the look of my books in mylars. So while I do own several slabs, the majority are books I bought and not stuff I sent in. And funny enough, some of the slabbed books I bought I removed from their slabs. 

But none of that is meant to judge in any way, it's just to explain where I'm coming from with slabbing. And I was just curious about your pick.

Turns out you and I have a lot of the same books. I am really curious to see if those two yellow costume Daredevil books you sent ever go up in value. I know I love them and think they are underappreciated.

I'll definitely agree with you on how much room these slabs take up!  I keep some books in raw with no intention of slabbing them, such as a raw Carl Barks ducks collection I started recently.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:35 PM, Point Five said:

As a general comment, grading notes seem to be "interesting" more than exhaustive, and are not intended as a checklist of defects. Sometimes they mention hidden defects and sometimes they don't; sometimes they mention clearly visible defects and sometimes they don't. Maybe chalk it up to the graders' personal style? From my experience I can't really see any pattern to how thorough they are.

At the end of the day, it's not one single person working in the grading department of CGC. It's many different people. And everyone has a different eye for grading. Kind of like a driving test examiner. Some might be more lenient, some might be more strict. If you're lucky, you get someone who's lenient enough to overlook some blatant issues and slap on a high grade (not that that is a good thing for CGC, but it is for you xD)

As some have said, even if you resubmit the same comic to CGC again, there is no guarantee you'd end up with the exact same grade. Someone who hits a 9.0-9.7 but not 9.8 with a comic might just roll the dice a few times without changing a single thing or acquiring any cleaning/pressing/etc., and eventually hit 9.8 that way. Standards are always going to be a mixed bag, and for cases like these where you "won the lottery" in getting a good grade on a bad test, just take it and quietly move on about your day.

@Tom789 I commend you for grading your comics regardless of their worth on the market. You want your comics graded for your own collection, because it looks nicer to you that way, and is also a good way to protect the comic too, as it kind of freezes it in time.

Well I don't know the reason about why CGC doesn't take attention to grader notes. Now most of the comics receive grader notes "unavailable". Support says that grader notes aren't guaranteed. Mistery

On 12/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Tom789 said:

Regardless of the grader, this is exactly the kind of flaw that should have been in the notes...  :gossip: