• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A comic tale: How to lose 50% of your $$$ in less than a year.

30 posts in this topic

Okay, bad analogy

sorry.gif

No, it was a good analogy, but you just should've used some multi-hundred thousand dollar exotic like a Lamborghini as an example, rather than just any car. No one needs to pay that much for a car if all they need is transportation, and yet, many people do.

No, it was a good analogy, but you just should've used some multi-hundred thousand dollar exotic like a as an example, rather than just any car. No one needs to pay that much for a car if all they need is transportation, and yet, many people do.

Nope, you need to compare it to something that has no actual real-world use outside its monetary value, like a slabbed comic or a stock certificate.

A Lamborghini encased in a Lucite shell would be a perfect comparison. Then you could never drive it. thumbsup2.gif

He was on TV ? Cool. What was the program ?

Don't know, but it looked like a local news thing. My mother-in-law lives in Marlow and saw something about comics. Knowing my interest, she put a tape in and recorded it for me. I guess it was about 5 minutes.

It was quite funny. Having shown off the Ohio AF15 and a Batman 1 (which was PLOD, but couldn't see the grade), Darryl was then asked for investment advice for the future. Rather than go for blue chip items, he suggested unknowns which might go up, such as UK Marvel reprints from the 70's (which he proclaimed as good as they are currently very cheap). The cynic in me wonders if he has just come accross a warehouse full of these.

Okay, bad analogy

sorry.gif

No, it was a good analogy, but you just should've used some multi-hundred thousand dollar exotic like a Lamborghini as an example, rather than just any car. No one needs to pay that much for a car if all they need is transportation, and yet, many people do.

Still a flawed analogy, I'm afraid...you can get plenty of additional "mileage" from a Lamborghini other than its functional use as a mode of transport. Show off your Lamborghini = date models. Show off your ASM #19 CGC 9.9 = women flee in horror. poke2.gif