• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sub-Mariner #1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello and thank you in advance for any comments and suggestions.

There is a name and date neatly written in pen on the 1st interior page.  And the book looks like it was made with only one staple.

I am wondering if these 2 issues together take the book to a lower grade than if they were not present?  Also what is the grade of the book as it stands?

Edited by Pukie
I summerized my inquiry specific to the topic of this forum.

Thank you.  I am still learning about GCG labels. I understand the Blue label is preferred.  Is there a way to ask for a Blue label or does a book made with only one staple automatically get a Green Qualified label? Either way there is no impact on grade?  How about market value?

Here are pictures of the staple areas exterior & interior.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Definitely looks like manufacturing. You'd want the Qualified label here b/c a Universal would be several grades lower (removed staple defect tops out at 6.0), but you don't get to choose anyway. Not all Qualified labels are the same. A clipped Marvel Value Stamp might be more severely viewed than a removed advertising coupon/page/insert. Some people might be OK/not OK with an unverified signature. It would be on a case-by-case basis and depend on the collector/buyer how much they discount or didn't discount the value.

I always grade this book too low.

8.0 Universal

If CGC determines the book was manufactured with only one staple it'll not be counted as a flaw.

lf.thumb.jpeg.7db407a9e199d61fdc738fb6592aef0b.jpeg

If the book is manufactured without staples it will receive the Qualified label.

Doesn't make complete sense. I think I'm right about this but I'm open for correction. I believe this is one of those things CGC is inconsistent about. 2c

@zzutak

@The Lions Den

On 12/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, grendelbo said:

If the book was manufactured with only one staple it will not be counted as a flaw.  If the book is manufactured without staples it will receive a Qualified label.

Correct on both counts!  (thumbsu  (thumbsu  And, as you correctly note, books manufactured with only one staple will normally receive a Universal Grade.

MWB-70x1.thumb.jpg.bd9e1435f40cc03093558699609e1f12.jpg MWT-92x1.thumb.jpg.90605e874f6dcf4652b66f12444836b2.jpg

Edited by zzutak

On 12/3/2023 at 10:38 AM, Pukie said:

I am wondering if these 2 issues together take the book to a lower grade than if they were not present?  Also what is the grade of the book as it stands?

There should be no downgrade for either flaw. But be aware that more stress will be placed on that remaining staple, so please handle with care...