• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you encounter comics with missing centerfolds?
3 3

39 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 11:50 AM, BA773 said:

Thanks for your reply, these times i was already feel bad in my life and it make me think to stop the hobby, but now that the other people told me that i love the cr*p i think i will defintly leave it... 

But no because

There is the people who try to complet run and the people who prefer to buy a comics into a slab with a number to determine his f****** value for 1k...

I realize that since im spend to much time on this forum i m started to  derive from the reason why I started and always questionning me on if i have to continue, if i have to stop, if i have to buy some mess from the 50s just to look well at the eyes of the other people...

I think i will make my path and leave this freaking place, its not why i started to collect comic books. 

I wouldn't have used the words shadroch used, but the Marvel/DC "rivalry" has been a thing forever and I suspect it's his way of teasing you.

Lots of us here love DCs and unslabbed books, and you're correct, the worth of your collection is not determined by value or grades on slabs, or really what anyone else thinks.

Hope you stick around.  :foryou:

To clarify upon my experience thus far: I've lost track of how many issues I have on hand at the moment (at least 300+; I made a ton of orders within the last few months and still have more coming in) and found problems with comics from two stores so far. The comics from I received from other stores were fine: complete and without any notable damage (besides rust migration, but that's acceptable).

Captive Audience Comics: One comic out of twelve had mold in it; I contacted the store and was promptly refunded for it. All good.

MyComicShop: I've ordered 139 comics from them so far, and 11 of them had problems, primarily missing centerfolds or containing mold. I've e-mailed them already, which they have not yet responded. It's probably because I contacted them past business hours, so I'll wait and see whether they do on Monday.

If anyone cares about statistics, that's about 8% across those two stores. (But across all of my comics instead, it would be much lower.) Not too bad, especially if they are willing to reimburse me for them. I'll chalk it up to them not really spending time (if any) in inspecting these low value/low grade comics for quick resale.

Edited by stormflora

On 12/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, stormflora said:

To clarify upon my experience thus far: I've lost track of how many issues I have on hand at the moment (at least 300+; I made a ton of orders within the last few months and still have more coming in) and found problems with comics from two stores so far. The comics from I received from other stores were fine: complete and without any notable damage (besides rust migration, but that's acceptable).

Captive Audience Comics: One comic out of twelve had mold in it; I contacted the store and was promptly refunded for it. All good.

MyComicShop: I've ordered 139 comics from them so far, and 11 of them had problems, primarily missing centerfolds or containing mold. I've e-mailed them already, which they have not yet responded. It's probably because I contacted them past business hours, so I'll wait and see whether they do on Monday.

What grades did MCS assign the books?  That doesn't sound like a typical experience with them. They didn't note a missing centerfold?

On 12/10/2023 at 2:03 PM, shadroch said:

What grades did MCS assign the books?  That doesn't sound like a typical experience with them. They didn't note a missing centerfold?

At least Good or Very Good, with I believe one of them being Fair/Good (but that still implies no missing pages). None of them were graded Poor, and none of them had any notes mentioned. I am prepared to take photos to show to them to prove it (upon request; it's quite a lot of photos to shoot), so I have nothing to hide, really.

For the missing centerfolds, I carefully referenced with the GCD to make sure the page counts and interior stories matched up for each issue. As for the mold, they are not the ones with rust migration, as I have confirmed in another thread here.

I don't really mind the misgrading or lack of inspection on these comics, since they are low value/low grade after all. Cartoon comics, not superhero. (As long as they reimburse me for the oversight, of course.)

Edited by stormflora

On 12/10/2023 at 2:09 PM, shadroch said:

Mold is one thing, but missing centerfolds is inexcusable.

Yeah, I wouldn't know what happened, really. I imagine that they do not put much emphasis (if any) on inspecting these low value comics beyond just a quick cover glance and perhaps skim-through.

Of the eleven comics with problems, four were missing pages, and one probably had some kid cut out a chunk of page, which shouldn't be allowed for a "VG"-graded comic.

On 12/10/2023 at 7:40 PM, Point Five said:

I wouldn't have used the words shadroch used, but the Marvel/DC "rivalry" has been a thing forever and I suspect it's his way of teasing you.

Lots of us here love DCs and unslabbed books, and you're correct, the worth of your collection is not determined by value or grades on slabs, or really what anyone else thinks.

Hope you stick around.  :foryou:

Yes dont worry i just maybe have to refocused on the right forums because i will become a speculator if i dontlol

On 12/10/2023 at 8:14 PM, stormflora said:

Yeah, I wouldn't know what happened, really. I imagine that they do not put much emphasis (if any) on inspecting these low value comics beyond just a quick cover glance and perhaps skim-through.

Of the eleven comics with problems, four were missing pages, and one probably had some kid cut out a chunk of page, which shouldn't be allowed for a "VG"-graded comic.

Unfortunately i think that the kind of books you buy are better candidate for problem like that because these books even if we all like them are more appropriate for the really young kids than the great part of the other books on the market. Thats just my deduction 

@shadroch Still no response from MyComicShop. Perhaps backlogged with lots of orders/e-mails. Will wait a little longer and see.

I'll be reordering the faulty books anyway, but I'd still like to be reimbursed for those bad copies (instead of being forced to resell them). I'll take store credit, even.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:35 PM, shadroch said:

I'm surprised Conan hasn't responded here. Perhaps he's on vacation. You might  want to PM him.

I'm not too familiar with everyone here yet, as I'm still relatively new. Is he an employee of MCS? Would it be appropriate to contact him outside of standard contact?

Conan is the son of the principal owner, Buddy Saunders, and may be part owner by now.

I would not recommend contacting him unless you got no response from MCS customer service over a few business days, and if your "issue" is of significant value, like in the thousands of dollars. The CS department is excellent. No need to overreact.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:29 PM, Lightning55 said:

Conan is the son of the principal owner, Buddy Saunders, and may be part owner by now.

I would not recommend contacting him unless you got no response from MCS customer service over a few business days, and if your "issue" is of significant value, like in the thousands of dollars. The CS department is excellent. No need to overreact.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:42 PM, Lightning55 said:

Or maybe @mycomicshop could help you directly, as they probably monitor this board. Whoever might be in the rotation to respond. 

Thank you for clarifying. That's what I was getting at; I would not want to disturb someone unless it was of significant importance (or they were a friend of mine).

I'll continue to wait to see whether they get back to me within the week. I'm hoping to make another order soon.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:07 PM, mycomicshop said:

I'm here, but yes, emailing service@mycomicshop.com is what you should do first if you have a problem with your order. 

@stormflora if you DM me the email address on your account I can check on the status of your inquiry. 

Sent! Thank you very much!

On 12/7/2023 at 6:32 PM, stormflora said:

In your experience, how often do you end up with comics sold with missing centerfolds that were not mentioned in the listing (perhaps because even the seller wasn't aware)? Are non-Modern Age comics prone to this sort of issue? When centerfolds are missing, what grade does it automatically drop down to no matter what?

It happens enough that people lucky enough to own the centerfolds of big books ask for insane amounts of money on them, banking on the idea there’s books out there that need em. This is true even when the centerfolds do not depict the character that made the book famous in the first place(Tec 27, I’m looking at you) The following centerfolds are being offered even as we speak - the Supe 1 being offered by Blizzard on eBay($25k) and the Tec 27 on CC ($50k).

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/757385

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145489119284?hash=item21dfd3c834:g:H18AAOSwq1JldBfY

IMG_4468.png

IMG_4467.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 12/12/2023 at 6:26 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It happens enough that people lucky enough to own the centerfolds of big books ask for insane amounts of money on them, banking on the idea there’s books out there that need em. This is true even when the centerfolds do not depict the character that made the book famous in the first place(Tec 27, I’m looking at you) The following centerfolds are being offered even as we speak - the Supe 1 being offered by Blizzard on eBay($25k) and the Tec 27 on CC ($50k).

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/757385

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145489119284?hash=item21dfd3c834:g:H18AAOSwq1JldBfY

IMG_4468.png

IMG_4467.jpeg

Considering how some GA/SA comics can end up losing pages, it's not surprising that some people would resell individual ones. Either for people to have at least a piece of an extremely rare comic (e.g. Action Comics #1), or to buy and fix an existing comic they have that's coincidentally missing that/those page(s).

@shadroch Conan has graciously resolved the issues with my orders, and I remain totally satisfied :)