• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #298 CGC 6.5 - Worth Pressing?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

NOTE: I'm from the UK so that may affect a lot of the options and price.

I just purchased this slab and I'm happy with the grade its in now and glad I found one with a really great cover but I'm wondering if it's worth cracking, pressing & cleaning to bump it up a grade? and if the cost would be worth it?

I've never sent anything for pressing & cleaning before and wouldn't know who to send it too. I know CGC has a pressing service but with the research and countless videos I've seen. It seems like there's better pressers to send it too before sending it to be graded.

Graders Notes:

• Light spine splits to cover
  • Light spine stress lines to cover
  • Moderate creasing to cover

The writing on the back of the book doesn't really bother me but if it could be removed without damaging the book and getting the blue label still that would be great.

20231218_160331.jpg

20231218_160341.jpg

20231218_160346.jpg

20231218_160430.jpg

20231218_160441.jpg

20231218_160815.jpg

20231218_160916.jpg

Back 01.jpg

Back 02.jpg

Back 03.jpg

Back 04 Wrtiting.jpg

Back 05.jpg

Edited by Bick0

First off the date stamp isn't something that needs removing and frankly I'm shocked to hear you say you'd be happy to see it gone! There are threads on these very boards celebrating arrival date, book exchange and pence stamps. Maybe seek them out so you can join in with "the joy of stamps". :peace:

To your main point, you'd be tempting fate in so many ways by sending this off for CPR. 6.5 is a pretty good grade for this book and you may well end up with the same grade again albeit having run the gauntlet of the whole shipping, pressing, re-slabbing and more shipping. And you'd be out of pocket.

I don't think pressing will  yield a higher grade. I would be satisfied with the book as is. 

On 12/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

First off the date stamp isn't something that needs removing and frankly I'm shocked to hear you say you'd be happy to see it gone! There are threads on these very boards celebrating arrival date, book exchange and pence stamps. Maybe seek them out so you can join in with "the joy of stamps". :peace:

To your main point, you'd be tempting fate in so many ways by sending this off for CPR. 6.5 is a pretty good grade for this book and you may well end up with the same grade again albeit having run the gauntlet of the whole shipping, pressing, re-slabbing and more shipping. And you'd be out of pocket.

I don't think pressing will  yield a higher grade. I would be satisfied with the book as is. 

Thank you for the suggestion!. I'm super happy with the grade and the price I paid for it. I'd rather keep the book as is rather than pay and wait months to get it back. Plus there's always a risk of the book being damaged during transit. The stamp is a pretty cool addition to the book, luckily it's on the back so the cover doesn't "suffer" for a lack of a better word.:D

On 12/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, Bick0 said:

Thank you for the suggestion!. I'm super happy with the grade and the price I paid for it. I'd rather keep the book as is rather than pay and wait months to get it back. Plus there's always a risk of the book being damaged during transit. The stamp is a pretty cool addition to the book, luckily it's on the back so the cover doesn't "suffer" for a lack of a better word.:D

You also risk having the book lost in transit and no amount of insurance will get it back.

I don't see any "writing" on the back cover.  Were you meaning the date stamp?  

I also love date stamps.  They're a "good" part of the history of the book and provide valuable historical information.  IMO they should NEVER be removed.

Too many other things going on with this book including "Light spine splits to cover" that would preclude it from anything higher than a 7.0 on a good day. Likely not worth the chance for a minor grade bump. Still a great book.

I'm also in the camp about date stamps being cool. That one is completely non-intrusive and won't impact the grade at all.

Nothing that I see or see in the notes suggests a grade bump is worth the money to try. You want to see dents and dings (and see the mention of bends in the notes, as well as anything related to dirt) to have a chance with a book that could get a bump. Any mention of creasing (especially if you can see that they are colour breaking) is a risk of wasting money for nothing. Your book mentions creasing (without really specifying if these creases break colour) but when you look and see the crease along the bottom edge and near the issue number, those are flaws that are there to stay.

It's a great grade on a great book. I would love it as it because the grade seems spot on.