• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seller do not want to ship internationaly, how to do?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Imagine that you find a book which is your absolute Graal but the seller are totally no open to send it oversea, is there an alternative, does he exist some transit office? I could have asked to someone here on cgc but i have no enough strong relationship with an user to do it...

Edited by BA773

Hate to say it but it's best to just move on unless you want to fly over and pick up the book in person (if the seller will do that).  A lot of sellers will not ship to a middle man especially if it's through E-bay.  May be better to just wait for another copy to come up.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:15 AM, 1Cool said:

Hate to say it but it's best to just move on unless you want to fly over and pick up the book in person (if the seller will do that).  A lot of sellers will not ship to a middle man especially if it's through E-bay.  May be better to just wait for another copy to come up.

Thsi is where Ebays Global Shipping program helps if they can be convinced to use that

On 12/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, Ares said:

Thsi is where Ebays Global Shipping program helps if they can be convinced to use that

Already tried but the guy seems closed to anything

Edited by BA773

On 12/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, Ares said:

Unfortunately while this would get your book shipped it will come at a massive cost, many times greater than if the book was shipped out using the same methods by the seller himself. For example, one book I recently wanted to buy from a seller on ebay was $1700usd, unfortunately the global shipping to me in Canada from the USA was estimated to add another $300-$400 on that to cover duties/inport costs - but that is rare to get that level bill, as I've had books worth more shipped via USPS and Fedex that only cost around $50 in total duties. The only method I find results in clost-to-ebay-duties-costs is UPS, but even then it is still lower. Unfortuantly the seller would not budge and would only use that service for international shipping :(

A general rule is assume the total shipping estimate cost being shown to the buyer will be 3-4 times the regular shipping cost for the item.

anything can be done with money:

there are freight forwarding services (but what if there is an issue?)

bonded couriers

flying to america yourself (I see some flights from Geneva to New York (well New Jersey) for less than $350 ROUND TRIP in March), assuming it makes sense geographically.

finding a trustworthy middleman for a fee.

sending to cgc sounds terrible (if one is already weary of sending internationally), the problem is still that nobody knows if anyone switched books (buyer/seller/cgc) or if the books got damage/lost in transit  to CGC or at CGC or leaving CGC or customs in US/other country or in transit in foreign country.

A big part of it is that the recourse/remedy options are so limited if something goes wrong, which doesn't change with most of these options, except the flying option or the bonded courier.

I'd say agree to a price (in writing, in email) then paypal (use the invoicing system) the guy $20 (or whatever agreed upon fee) and have him hold it, then take a vacation in America at some point in the 2024.  Meet in a bank or in front of police station and pay the guy in cash, get your book, get some barbeque and some tacos (maybe both at the same time!), enjoy America.

I use eBay Global shipping as the ONLY way I'll send something overseas-- it takes all the headache off of me.   I know its not great for the international buyers but my reasoning is simple-- with this method I can print and ship from home-- easy as it gets.  With International shipping I've found its a few rotten apples who spoil it-- the ONLY trouble I've ever had over the years with selling was with International Buyers (before I took to Global Shipping), and my time is valuable.   Too many international buyers who haggle on the shipping, then want you to undervalue it (which I won't do) and finally endless emails asking where something is because the bargain basement shipping they chose takes forever.

Global shipping takes care of that-- I've had zero problems since I started using it about three years ago.

I'd second the idea of taking a vacation to America, provided the seller will do FTF transactions (a lot won't).  Otherwise, make some friends with some here and see if they'll handle it for you as a proxy-- but be willing to pay for GOOD shipping and plan on sending the boardie something for their troubles (note: I'm not offering here, I'm not your guy).

On 12/22/2023 at 3:31 PM, AndyFish said:

I use eBay Global shipping as the ONLY way I'll send something overseas-- it takes all the headache off of me.   I know its not great for the international buyers but my reasoning is simple-- with this method I can print and ship from home-- easy as it gets.  With International shipping I've found its a few rotten apples who spoil it-- the ONLY trouble I've ever had over the years with selling was with International Buyers (before I took to Global Shipping), and my time is valuable.   Too many international buyers who haggle on the shipping, then want you to undervalue it (which I won't do) and finally endless emails asking where something is because the bargain basement shipping they chose takes forever.

Global shipping takes care of that-- I've had zero problems since I started using it about three years ago.

I'd second the idea of taking a vacation to America, provided the seller will do FTF transactions (a lot won't).  Otherwise, make some friends with some here and see if they'll handle it for you as a proxy-- but be willing to pay for GOOD shipping and plan on sending the boardie something for their troubles (note: I'm not offering here, I'm not your guy).

I love the Global shipping program because of this

On 12/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, BA773 said:

Imagine that you find a book which is your absolute Graal but the seller are totally no open to send it oversea, is there an alternative, does he exist some transit office? I could have asked to someone here on cgc but i have no enough strong relationship with an user to do it...

I use myUSA freight forwarders. They are very good with the lowest charges I have found. As a bonus for you, they can ship by DHL so you can get it delivered in a couple of days. Coincidentally, they are also based in Sarasota FL.

The books I have bought from people here (hi!) have all been sent to myUSA who then forwarded them to me.

Info here:

https://www.myus.com/about/

Edited by Albert Thurgood
Added URL

During all the supply chain delays I stopped offering to ship to the UK from Canada. One slab I sent via “express” must have been put on a banana boat across the pond. Thankfully the buyer was patient, didn’t file for a refund and 6 weeks or so later he confirmed receipt of the delivery. I could have been screwed.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:10 PM, revat said:

anything can be done with money:

there are freight forwarding services (but what if there is an issue?)

bonded couriers

flying to america yourself (I see some flights from Geneva to New York (well New Jersey) for less than $350 ROUND TRIP in March), assuming it makes sense geographically.

finding a trustworthy middleman for a fee.

sending to cgc sounds terrible (if one is already weary of sending internationally), the problem is still that nobody knows if anyone switched books (buyer/seller/cgc) or if the books got damage/lost in transit  to CGC or at CGC or leaving CGC or customs in US/other country or in transit in foreign country.

A big part of it is that the recourse/remedy options are so limited if something goes wrong, which doesn't change with most of these options, except the flying option or the bonded courier.

I'd say agree to a price (in writing, in email) then paypal (use the invoicing system) the guy $20 (or whatever agreed upon fee) and have him hold it, then take a vacation in America at some point in the 2024.  Meet in a bank or in front of police station and pay the guy in cash, get your book, get some barbeque and some tacos (maybe both at the same time!), enjoy America.

God forsaken! 350 dollars only:tonofbricks: if i would have known this i will had probably came to US last year and buy tons of books... when i see the deal you can found in US comparated to the online price... i will probably saved money and had a good experience... thanks for the idea, is there maybe something to do herelol

Edited by BA773