• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Optimal amount of books to send CGC
1 1

5 posts in this topic

What is a good amount of books to send to CGC? Obviously the more the better to make the most of shipping costs. however, i am not independently wealthy so i can't max that out. If I submit 10 modern books and get them pressed you are looking at $400ish bucks. That is no small amount.  How much does everyone else typically submit at a time?

Rather than quantity of books I tend to focus on quality.

I tend to wait until I have enough HG books to make it worthwhile, usually at least a dozen, and will combine modern with vintage to save on shipping.

Graded comic bags or magazine bags are perfect for separating the orders with the designated packing slip.

For Bronze I only submit books if they have a good chance to come back 9.6/9.8.

The largest order I did was 24 mags recently, 21 modern and 3 vintage.

For comics I've done about 20 at a time, a mix of modern and vintage.

The pre-inspection and selection process is the key to determine what you want to send.

I typically don't send raw books to get graded and pressed. The biggest box CGC returns holds 25 slabs, so I send 25 raw comics that very likely would be a 9.8 and have CGC pre-screen them for 9.8. The reason? I find that I sit on a lot of 9.6s few people want to buy. 

If there's a signing, that's when I'll pay for the extra pressing. 

Now that CGC works with FedEx on return shipping, my costs have decreased (and comics arrive to me faster after they're shipped!). USPS used to cost a pretty penny for return shipping. 

One strategy I had early on when I didn't have as much money to invest was to have 2/3 of my submission be comics I want to sell, and 1/3 books to keep. Selling the 2/3 would pay for the 1/3 and then some.