• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advise on some of my comics
1 1

4 posts in this topic

It may depend on your reason for considering slabbing these books.  If you want to do it because you love them and want to preserve them forever, it's probably worth doing. 

Otherwise, if your goal is to make them more saleable I think the general Board view would be that the "Kraven's Last Hunt" books are pretty common and unless they'll grade very high, you might end up spending more on grading/shipping than they are worth.  The ASM book is pretty valuable in high grade, so that one might make some sense, again if it's high grade only.

On 12/30/2023 at 9:43 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It may depend on your reason for considering slabbing these books.  If you want to do it because you love them and want to preserve them forever, it's probably worth doing. 

Otherwise, if your goal is to make them more saleable I think the general Board view would be that the "Kraven's Last Hunt" books are pretty common and unless they'll grade very high, you might end up spending more on grading/shipping than they are worth.  The ASM book is pretty valuable in high grade, so that one might make some sense, again if it's high grade only.

+1 

For the ASM 59, take very clear pictures of the front and back cover and post them in the Spare a Grade forum.  

For reference you probably need an 8.0 or better to make it worth the cost / hassle of grading.  

A 7.5 sold for $150 in December. An 8.0 sold for $200 in October.   A 9.0 is over $300 and then it really goes up for those higher grade copies. 

It looks nice from the picture, but it's not a good enough picture to offer a grade estimate. 

also, take a look at any grading guide just to get an idea of what graders look for. 

for the 80's books, they need to be essentially flawless in every way inside and out to be worth grading to SELL.  Very generally, there should be no folds, no bends, no creases, no warping, no marks, including the spines and corners (which should be sharp!).  

additionally, you can look up sold prices on GPA and/or ebay to get an idea of the ballpark values for graded vs raw in certain grades, then do some submission math to figure out if you have margins that you personally are comfortable with (everyone has different preferences).  As a newbie, I wouldn't recommend slabbing ANYTHING for profit unless you are 120% certain you have an obvious significant profit.