• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen art alert Peanuts!
5 5

85 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2024 at 10:24 AM, shadroch said:

What did the current owner do wrong? He claims he bought it at an auction.  If so, it is his. It's no different than buying a repossessed car or an abandoned locker.  I can't imagine this going anywhere in a court.

The current owner may have done nothing wrong and still have no right to the property in question.  The law is much more complicated than that, and goods have been recovered after many more exchanges and the passage of time than have occurred here.

The example I provided previously in the thread regarding Nic Cage's Action 1, for which his insurance company paid out his claim, still was returned to him even though the eventual "finder" supposedly purchased it from an abandoned locker.  The "finder" got nothing.  The insurance company was reimbursed by Nic.  And the book was returned to him.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:55 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I felt like Superman, great, right? Wrong... I did all that work without officially opening a case... which got me in hot water and led to 5 days "on the bricks" (the old expression for suspended w/o pay). So good for the sender not so good for me lol

Even when Spidey saves the day, he still gets slammed on the front page of the Bugle.

On 2/12/2024 at 11:15 AM, westform said:

Boy, that took forever! Finally worked it out financially for all parties the only way possible, so was able to complete this deal and finally acquire a beloved Peanuts strip. Thanks for all your help and advice along the way. It really was eye opening and informative! Here is a link to the piece on my CAF gallery. 
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1994980

How Did it all shake out?