• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 140 CGC 9.8

13 posts in this topic

Wrong, I need/want one too (Wendigo fan) and feel its better/safer to shoot for a 9.8 on a modern. That said, I'm not paying $300-$400 either, but why buy a 9.6 modern when its sure to lose value as supply will surely rise. You don't have to be a speculator to want a 9.8 V, collectors (or hybrids) want them too. Its just a better/wiser idea with moderns... at the right price of course.

You really gotta try and resist using such definitive statements so often... you don't understand everyone's motivations, no one can. Your take on all issues does not make it so, regardless of your accuracy rate with market analysis.

Another thing to consider with this book (if you research it).. is that it has inexplicably proven to be in very low supply in 9.8 for a modern. ONLY (5) 9.8's out of 346 graded... pretty low for a modern, eh?. Probably due in part to the black spine, but still far lower than you would expect. There's just as many 9.8 SME 15's. grin.gif

That is a clearly a factor in the price being paid as there were a few Byrne X-men, Wolverine, Wendigo fans involved in the bidding that want the book to keep, myself included.

BTW... obviously excluding the Trimpe illustrated Wendigo, which version is better... Byrne/Austin's or McFarlane's?

yeah, that wasn't bad... wendigo looked cool if you get plow through the poor storylines... i dunno, the art on the spider man series was good, but it seemed really over done, almost hyper detailed and overly complex. Nice pin up stuff, but not the greatest story telling.

i go over to jersey all the time to watch movies (grew up in north central jersey)... because there's two things lacking in philly:

no movie theatres (although there is a new one opened up in University City which is nice... so maybe one)

and no good comic book stores... which I can't believe... Fat Jack's is alright, but when I lived in Jersey, there were three reliable stores for back issues... in Philly there's really none. And Fat Jack's even for new stuff is kind of suspect as they sell out of trades fast and don't stock a lot of special items. Other than the Philly show every month, (and Wizard World East Yeah!!!) there's little on the comic scene here.

i tend not to think that book's all that rare in high grade either... this isn't a book I'd pick up cgc'd anyway, because there's so many nice copies ungraded available... and based on that, I agree that in high grade it's not that rare. 9.8 is tough for me to speculate, b/c that's a high number, but lots of 9.4s and 9.6s and that's plenty good enough for me (and I think there's something to the fact that there are probably a fair quantity of ungraded 9.8s)

Hey Tom

True...

Who knows what large quantity of any book is really out there. Its certainly safe to assume there are tons more moderns and XM 140's

Let me qualify this... I'm referring to the present in which 346 were graded and the 9.8 result was clearly low for a modern. Only (5). Demand has not been met, but surely it will at some point.

So far, in terms of the last 3 years of submissions, it has proven difficult to find in 9.8.

I really want a "perfect" copy of X-MEN 140 myself.(to compliment my NM- copy that's signed by Byrne.) As far as my favourite "rendition" of Wendigo.....BYRNE. I liked Mcfarlane's as well, but I HATED how Wendigo was portrayed in the "perceptions" storyline. I thought the "gentle giant" approach was absolutely unforgivable.