• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you collect Tear Sheets/Samples/Printed Copies of Comics Where Your OA Appears?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I have a physical copy of all my published OA. I use this for display or to include on my CAF page. I also have the physical copy in the event I might sell in the future. I will continue to do so as I purchase new OA. I do have an unpublished Godzilla page that has shown up in Georges Jeanty sketchbook (from 2019).

Edited by Ducky13

I try to do this.  It actually came in handy in one instance.  I have a splash page from a Bronze Age book, all the right indicia and stamps on it, and a story page is one.  Find the story in the printed book, but I can't find the page.  Looks like they took it out in favor of an ad page.  Would never have known if I hadn't seen the printed version.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:12 AM, Aahz said:

I try to do this.  It actually came in handy in one instance.  I have a splash page from a Bronze Age book, all the right indicia and stamps on it, and a story page is one.  Find the story in the printed book, but I can't find the page.  Looks like they took it out in favor of an ad page.  Would never have known if I hadn't seen the printed version.

This is always my concern when dealers say "I think it's published" or "might have been published" or they just have some generic statement talking about a book but not a specific issue. I like having the hard copy - especially because I collect art from some not-very-popular 90's books. I've gambled on many pieces, found the published proof in physical books that weren't available digitally, and got busted on a few that were sold as "published" but were not. And depending on if the art is at auction - I may not have enough time to track down a printed copy and have to gamble on it.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/19/2024 at 6:43 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This is always my concern when dealers say "I think it's published" or "might have been published" or they just have some generic statement talking about a book but not a specific issue. I like having the hard copy - especially because I collect art from some not-very-popular 90's books. I've gambled on many pieces, found the published proof in physical books that weren't available digitally, and got busted on a few that were sold as "published" but were not. And depending on if the art is at auction - I may not have enough time to track down a printed copy and have to gamble on it.

For years, I have tried to get a hard copy of a fanzine for which I have the cover and that I know was published—right down to the original publisher. I even have his identity as he has mentioned the possibility of doing a reprint. No luck.