• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Preference on CGC 9.8 - Pedigree or Page Quality?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Discovered a couple of CGC 9.8 pedigree books lately - I've already had them in CGC 9.8, but thought I'd take a look and perhaps upgrade them to a Pedigree. Upon review the pedigree copies were not White Pages while my CGC 9.8 copies had White pages. Appears as though books of equal grade, Pedigree books command a higher price than those with better page quality. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Decided that for me, page quality was more important than pedigree. 

What sayest the Board Members??

For Bronze Age issues, it's often easy to find non-pedigree examples that look as nice or even nicer than several pedigree copies.  To my way of thinking, that doesn't justify paying a premium price for an equal or inferior quality pedigree copy.  

With Silver Age comics, some of the finest known pedigrees are remarkable for the consistent superiority of their eye appeal and/or page quality.  It can be especially rewarding to own several examples of a particular pedigree from a single title, knowing that all of these copies came from the same original owner and the same collection.  This can hold true for extensive pedigree runs of Bronze Age books, too - for me, it was a special part of my Bronze Age collection to own a continuous 60 issue run of Master of Kung Fu from the Western Pennsylvania pedigree.

Opinions will certainly differ among collectors on this matter.

Edited by namisgr

Depends on the Pedigree and year of the book.

Example - I've a bunch of early Bronze Oakland's all purchased raw less than a handful of weeks after the collection was discovered. At best ~25% of Oakland's are White Pages. But something about that Pedigree I really like and prefer ow/w to a no name w.  

There is no wrong or right way to collect for yourself.  However there are more and less smug ways to do so :)

Edited by MAR1979