• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When a key issue is not a key issue ..................
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I found this very interesting. Looking at eBay listings for books to add to my low budget collection, I ran across a book I don't have ........ Superman #261. 20 cent cover price, Feb 1972, and comics price guide says it is just a run of the mill issue and worth $5.04 in 6.0 ungraded condition, ComicBookRealm has a 6.0 at $7.20, and Nostomania at $33.20, and yet almost all instances of this book being offered at eBay auctions are listed at $40. to $200. ............... and people are buying ungraded copies in various conditions at those prices. Sure, it's a racy cover but what of it? So can a key issue be created because people are willing to pay up for a racy picture? Here's an example of a a few that sold recently, one even calls it a "key" issue ................. image.thumb.png.41045c9dcf030a79cc50c4c974d43926.pngimage.thumb.png.b3b0022da80024da05d178da8ec5d164.png

That book hasn't been run of the mill for several years, as far as I know.  I would agree that "Key" isn't the right word, and "Classic Cover" is more appropriate. 

I won't even argue if you say you think it shouldn't be a classic cover, just that enough people think it is to drive up the value.