• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haunt of fear 12 question

21 posts in this topic

Yep. Same issue. Different books. 

Color variance is normal for a number of reasons. Some issues may have faded out more over the years due to exposure. In other instances it's a matter of inconsistency in the color strike itself or the inks that were used. Remember, the goal was to put the product out as cheaply as possible. That took importance over the quality of the print. 

On 1/20/2024 at 3:45 PM, BlackOut21 said:

Makes sense. Thank you very much !

No problem! 

Issue #17 is the same way! 

On 1/20/2024 at 6:28 PM, zzutak said:

It's more likely the differences in hue/saturation/brightness are largely due to the use of different scanners and/or scanner settings.  Just look at the two labels (which almost certainly would appear identical in hand).

x1.jpg.297552a1f92cd13bd9700531dbb7f0b5.jpg
x2.jpg.cef4e26c2ada960ee5c499e73116f9b0.jpg

And every once in a while, the labels themselves can vary slightly in hue and saturation...  :whatthe:

Edited by The Lions Den

There was a thread dedicated to this a few years ago (can’t find it now) that talks about the varying colors of ECs that were printed. It’s almost always the blues and purples that stand out. I had two HOF 17s (one very purple and one very blue). The contrast was not due to fading.

I have an actual side by side picture somewhere but this is all I could find on my phone. These are the two 17s I mentioned above.

I had more light in one of the pics but the greens and reds are also noticeably different. Too much or too little of one of the mixing colors.

Edit - Ignore the incorrect label notes on the 8.0. CGC put the notes for the wrong 17. It’s since been fixed…

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.a36e9f0044ce4a1747e79e1dc3f54922.jpeg

IMG_7443.thumb.jpeg.1415f9c5c81ad217e79f105d41304df0.jpeg

Edited by C. Spaulding

Are you SURE it's not from sun-fading?

There seems to be a consensus that red inks fade more quickly under exposure to UV rays than the others, which would be consistent with turning a purple color more bluish.

We had kind of a similar discussion in the Warren Magazine Reading Club about the "brown" and "green" versions of CREEPY #20, and determined through the scientific method that the "green" versions probably started out as "brown" versions but were exposed to more sunlight, removing more of the red inks from the brown areas and leaving the cyan+yellow (green) inks more pronounced.  If these books are worth slabbing, they're probably worth too much to do a similar experiment on a "purple" copy, but the results could be interesting.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:24 PM, newshane said:

HOF 17 is definitely in my most wanted list. :headbang:

It's my favorite EC cover, and I have a LOT of favorite EC covers! 

It was on my list for a long time too and then I ended up with both of these copies at almost the same time. The 6.0 was sold a while back to fund other books but it’s definitely near the top of favorite ECs for me as well.

On 1/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, Axe Elf said:

There seems to be a consensus that red inks fade more quickly under exposure to UV rays than the others, which would be consistent with turning a purple color more bluish.

We had kind of a similar discussion in the Warren Magazine Reading Club about the "brown" and "green" versions of CREEPY #20, and determined through the scientific method that the "green" versions probably started out as "brown" versions but were exposed to more sunlight, removing more of the red inks from the brown areas and leaving the cyan+yellow (green) inks more pronounced.  If these books are worth slabbing, they're probably worth too much to do a similar experiment on a "purple" copy, but the results could be interesting.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that there were some boardies with specific printing information about ECs. I’ll see if I can find those posts later. I didn’t find it with a quick search just now.

Edited by C. Spaulding

On 1/23/2024 at 4:33 PM, C. Spaulding said:

It was on my list for a long time too and then I ended up with both of these copies at almost the same time. The 6.0 was sold a while back to fund other books but it’s definitely near the top of favorite ECs for me as well.

I remember the thread. 

At the time, I'd just dropped a pretty sizable amount on another comic, or it probably would have been mine. ;) 

On 1/23/2024 at 4:30 PM, Axe Elf said:

I mean, it could be. 

Like I said earlier, it could be a variety of things:

1. Poor color strike when printed. 

2. Inconsistencies in the ink from batch to batch. 

3. UV exposure 

4. Inconsistencies in the photos/scans themselves...lighting...settings...etc.  

On 1/23/2024 at 5:33 PM, C. Spaulding said:

This might be what I was thinking about. It was a while back…

page 165

On 1/24/2024 at 5:16 AM, Green Givey Goblin said:

100% positive it's not.

I wish I had the money to do the fading experiment with this book too; then we could trust science instead of opinion.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:52 AM, C. Spaulding said:

Edit - Ignore the incorrect label notes on the 8.0. CGC put the notes for the wrong 17. It’s since been fixed…

Good Lord! I like Johnny Craig, but "Ghastly" Graham definitely deserves to be recognized as one of the all-time great EC artists...  :foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den

On 1/24/2024 at 3:25 PM, Green Givey Goblin said:

it's not like this is an isolated incident

Agreed.  The sun shines everywhere.