• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heroes Con 2024 - Charlotte NC - June 14-16 - ONSITE GRADING - Second Wave of Guests Announced! Adam Hughes, Jim Steranko, more!
5 5

99 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2024 at 12:38 PM, Terry JSA said:

I’ll be at HeroesCon 2024 on Saturday and Sunday! If you see me roaming the con floor, you can come say hi to me! :banana:

Just saw this (been so damn busy).  And couldn't attend Sunday.  Will look for you next time!

On 6/15/2024 at 11:41 AM, AndyFish said:

Hey Jason-

As I suspected the onsite grading is bonkers-- the line is worse than you can imagine.

As a pro myself- I've signed up with CGC which gives me an account and allows me to submit anything I've signed to get a confirmed yellow label.  It was a little bit of a process, and like SDCC when they are giving you passes, they check your credentials, so make sure you have links to your published work.

Once approved you no longer need a CGC Witness at your booth provided your fans don't mind sending the books in through you.  We use a third party vintage dealer who handles all of ours.

I'm sure @CGC Mike could point you in the right direction.

Andy, great meeting you in person!  Great dinner and company last night.  And thank you for hooking me up with that gorgeous Phantom 1!

On 6/16/2024 at 1:19 PM, zosocane said:

Andy, great meeting you in person!  Great dinner and company last night.  And thank you for hooking me up with that gorgeous Phantom 1!

I'm happy to hear it-- but I'm guessing it was either one of my son's or Ted.    I don't sell comics, they all do.

EDIT- Okay figured it out-- thankfully you didn't think I'm Ted-- I'm not that close to death.   Joe is the older brother and has great hair, Adam is the younger brother and is on the hip side.

Edited by AndyFish

On 6/16/2024 at 4:42 PM, AndyFish said:

I'm happy to hear it-- but I'm guessing it was either one of my son's or Ted.    I don't sell comics, they all do.

EDIT- Okay figured it out-- thankfully you didn't think I'm Ted-- I'm not that close to death.   Joe is the older brother and has great hair, Adam is the younger brother and is on the hip side.

Thanks for correcting me -- Andy/Adam -- i was Adam that I met.  Still, good family!

Edited by zosocane

Another year, and another wonderful HeroesCon has come and gone.

It was nice to meet a bunch of folks this year at The Artist's Choice booth, and it was great seeing our returning friends find even more amazing artwork to add to their collections (thumbsu

I didn't recognize your handle, Carl-- yeah they are good guys-- they don't post on here as much as they should.

On 6/17/2024 at 12:06 AM, zosocane said:

Thanks for correcting me -- Andy/Adam -- i was Adam that I met.  Still, good family!

On 6/16/2024 at 11:16 PM, Terry JSA said:

Enjoyed my time at HeroesCon this past weekend! Nice meeting and seeing familiar faces! See you all next year!

HeroesCon 2025 will take place June 20-22, 2025.

I saw you in passing but didnt even think to say hi. Where in NC are you located?

On 6/15/2024 at 11:14 PM, PsylockeSmythe said:

That very well could have been the case, it just didn't feel as busy as it has in the past.  I do agree the number of dealers and artists is one of the best things about Heroes every year.

Psy

I was there Saturday, same time as last year (around 11 am), and there was NO line to get in whereas last year it took me about 20 minutes to get through the line.  So you are not imagining things.  That said, it might have less to do with the crowd size vs the fact that they organized the ticket purchase better.  Who knows?  I felt the crowd was the same as last year but for anyone who likes a no frills show, free of celebs, and a bunch of comic books, this is definitely the convention for you!

One caveat: I rarely buy books at the heroes convention because they are often incredibly overpriced, but if you buy a few magazines and some dollar bin books, it might we worth if just for the experience.

Edited by Cool Ghoul
added caveat

On 6/19/2024 at 4:42 PM, Comics-n-ERB said:

I really hate to see a comment like this that is looping all of Heroes Con dealers saying they are incredibly overpriced.  My booth had 70' of comics.  The entire backboard display was regraded and repriced 5 days before the show, and we sold a ton of wall books.  We sold nearly 12 boxes of priced books, that's right 12 boxes of PRICED books!   We sold 16 boxes of $5 each books, we sold 24 boxes of $2 books and 11 long boxes of $1 books (all we brought).  With results like this I know our prices were not overpriced!  Are there overpriced books at Heroes?  Of course there is!  But there are plenty of fairly priced books also. 

Learn English:

"because they are often incredibly overpriced"

Edited by Cool Ghoul
bold

On 6/19/2024 at 6:53 AM, cms1 said:

It was my first time at Heroes and I had a good time.  The artist alley was probably one of the best one around with major names that were very accessible.  There were tons of wall books, but I did not check out the prices because I am generally a bin diver.  I thought the prices people had on the cheap books in the bins where for the most part way overpriced.  It seemed like a lot of sellers have not adjusted bin prices and cheap books that used to be $1 were now $3 and $5 for 90's junk. Also people say that the show gets crowded, but I never felt it.  I guess they have never been to NYCC where you can't even move sometimes, but here it was very easy to move around and see what you wanted.

Shh.  Don't tell @Comics-n-ERB this.  He'll go bonkers!

I did well buying books to turn.  Not bragging, it is what it is.  Sure there are some high asking prices on things here or there.  But for the most part, I thought prices were on target.  My goal was to pay for my travel expenses (flight and hotel).  I was able to do that with the help of 8 or 10 booths.  The books were all GA and PCH.  If buying to make a profit is your thing, there was a ton of opportunity in the room IMO, that’s what I’m trying to express.

Edited by badback83
A thought added.