• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(QUICK) Is this Something is killing the Children #1 9.8 really a 9.8?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2024 at 1:23 AM, DkHerrick said:

I feel like a jerk not paying for it right away, but it looked better to me when I was in the bidding battle, now that I won, I examined it a little closer and noticed that almost every corner of the book looked like it had a noticeable nick. I asked the seller if they could send me more photos because compared with other 9.8s on eBay this looked like it had damage on all the corners, also note the seller's pictures are using flash lighting which shows more than most of the other sellers, if that makes a difference. The seller does offer 30-day returns, his reply to me after asking for more pictures it that he assures me this is a TRUE 9.8, but I feel like I've seen 9.6 with less damage which are going for about half the cost.

Great question.  Thanks for your post.

If you're concerned that somebody somehow took a book that was not a 9.8 and put it in a 9.8 holder, that's extremely unlikely.  If you're concerned that the corners got damaged after encapsulation, that's darned-near impossible.  

This is a book that CGC graded, and in their opinion at the time this book was graded it warranted a 9.8 grade. So this is truly a CGC 9.8, by definition.  

Grading is subjective, and not every CGC 9.8 will look identical.  If you're looking for a book that CGC said is a 9.8, and that also meets all of your criteria for a 9.8 (and also fits the 9.8 criteria of people on a message board), then you should only bid on books that fit that description.  In this case, you saw the pictures and won the auction, so the only fair thing to do is to pay for and keep the book.  If you get the book and decide it doesn't fit your personal definition of a 9.8, then you can always put it up on eBay and offer it to somebody else.  It will cost you a bit in fees, but then it's a mistake you are less likely to make in the future.

If you win an auction, and then back out because you decided you didn't want the book after all (which is what you're contemplating here), there's a good chance you'll get yourself blocked by one or more reasonable sellers who don't want to deal with the hassle of a buyer who is known for backing out of deals.

On 1/22/2024 at 8:34 AM, SOTIcollector said:

Great question.  Thanks for your post.

If you're concerned that somebody somehow took a book that was not a 9.8 and put it in a 9.8 holder, that's extremely unlikely.  If you're concerned that the corners got damaged after encapsulation, that's darned-near impossible.  

This is a book that CGC graded, and in their opinion at the time this book was graded it warranted a 9.8 grade. So this is truly a CGC 9.8, by definition.  

Grading is subjective, and not every CGC 9.8 will look identical.  If you're looking for a book that CGC said is a 9.8, and that also meets all of your criteria for a 9.8 (and also fits the 9.8 criteria of people on a message board), then you should only bid on books that fit that description.  In this case, you saw the pictures and won the auction, so the only fair thing to do is to pay for and keep the book.  If you get the book and decide it doesn't fit your personal definition of a 9.8, then you can always put it up on eBay and offer it to somebody else.  It will cost you a bit in fees, but then it's a mistake you are less likely to make in the future.

If you win an auction, and then back out because you decided you didn't want the book after all (which is what you're contemplating here), there's a good chance you'll get yourself blocked by one or more reasonable sellers who don't want to deal with the hassle of a buyer who is known for backing out of deals.

I could not have said this any better.

You were bidding on it. If you were worried about how "9.8ish" it really looked, or whether it fell within whatever standards you have to have for your 9.8, you need to take the time to ask questions first and press bid later.