• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple tear?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Just got this book and not sure what to make of this staple tear: appears the staple shifted and caused a slight tear as a result, but the staple itself feels really tight—it doesn’t shift at all when I try to shimmy it to see if it’s loose. Interior pages don’t seem to be torn, and nothing seems remotely loose. Honestly feels like the book hadn't even been opened.

Just wondering if this could be a manufacturing thing, since the staple is otherwise tight? Book doesn’t appear to have been pressed, either, and it is otherwise a really, really nice copy.

Curious what y’all think!

IMG_7470.jpeg

IMG_7471.jpeg

IMG_7477.jpeg

IMG_7478.jpeg

IMG_7479.jpeg

Edited by Nsschenks
Added interior pictures

On 1/22/2024 at 6:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

Regardless of how it happened, I'd be very careful when handling this book to keep those tears from getting any worse...  

For sure! Only opened the pages as far as I was comfortable with--the binding is really tight anyway, so I wasn't gonna push my luck. A little bit of a bummer even if is manufacturing, as this is otherwise the best raw copy I've seen of this book, direct or newsstand. Def won't be taking it out of the bag again though--I just document all the books I buy for my own records before I re-bag them.Will probably still get it graded just out of curiosity how CGC handles it, but I'm kinda unsure about whether it's even safe to press. I imagine my presser would take this into consideration though (I'd hope!).

Edited by Nsschenks

On 1/22/2024 at 6:35 PM, Nsschenks said:

For sure! Only opened the pages as far as I was comfortable with--the binding is really tight anyway, so I wasn't gonna push my luck. A little bit of a bummer even if is manufacturing, as this is otherwise the best raw copy I've seen of this book, direct or newsstand. Def won't be taking it out of the bag again though--I just document all the books I buy for my own records before I re-bag them.Will probably still get it graded just out of curiosity how CGC handles it, but I'm kinda unsure about whether it's even safe to press. I imagine my presser would take this into consideration though (I'd hope!).

I think your concerns are valid...