• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED PopKulture's Paper Miscellanea - Vintage paperbacks, early pulp fiction and some $5 comics
7 7

329 posts in this topic

Greetings, I’m going to list some vintage paperbacks first and perhaps some other oddball paper and magazines. I'll try to list perhaps ten books or so every few days. 

Shipping starts at $5 for 1-3 paperbacks Media Mail for the domestic United States, and additional books at cost. Larger items like comics and magazines I will ship USPS Ground Advantage or Priority depending on your preference. I will ship to Canada and overseas, but you will have to wait for a quote for shipping.

Payment by PayPal, checks or money orders.

Returns accepted up to two weeks after receiving your books – just PM me and let me know if you have a concern.

First “take” or :takeit: in thread trumps any private messages and offers.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!!

Edited by PopKulture

Pocket Books No. 245 -  “The Four of Hearts” by Ellery Queen. First printing.

VG, light wear with a spine crease and nice tight binding with white pages.

$12   $10

Pocket_245.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

Popular Library No. 232 – “The Key” by Patricia Wentworth. A nice design device showing the assailant in the mirror! 

VG- with spine slant and moderate cover wear.

$12    $10

Popular_232.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

Avon No. 128 - "Ten Nights of Love" - a collection of ten short stories with a terrific romantic cover. 

VG+ only minor wear on a tight copy. 

SOLD

Avon_128.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

Pocket Books No. 271 -  “The Bride Wore Black” by Cornell Woolrich. Second Pocket printing. Cover art by Hoffman. Tough book by a highly collectible author. 

VG-/VG copy. Tight binding but a center crease front cover and some soiling and spine rubs. 

SOLD

Pocket_271.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
sold

Popular Library No. 1392 - "Jailbait" by William Bernard. Later printing of Popular 392 (hence the practice of adding a "1" before the original number).

A stone cold classic GGA cover by Rudolph Belarski.

Solid VG copy with some cover creasing and slight spine slant. 

SOLD

Popular_1392.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

Dell No. 26 - "The Raft" by Robert Trumbull. Also attributed to Gerald Gregg. 

VG+ copy - tight with slight spine slant, minor creasing and small chip upper spine.

$12 for a nice early Dell    Now $10

Dell_026.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

Avon Books No. 273 - "Imperial City" by Elmer Rice. This is right in that Avon sweet spot where almost every book is a home run as far as cover art. 

Near Fine, a clean Avon with nice gloss, minor spine slant and some minimal cover pullback (Avons are notorious for the covers with lamination shrinking over time and revealing that right edge). 

SOLD

Avon_273.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
sold

Dell No. 40 - "The Case of Jennie Brice" by Mary Roberts Rinehart, who was one of the biggest selling authors of the earlier part of the century. 

Another fantastic atmospheric cover by Gerald Gregg.

VG copy .Tight with spine rubbing and cover creasing.

$10 for a nice early Dell mapback.

Dell_040.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

Avon No. 102 - "Three Wise Guys" by Damon Runyon. A good-looking "picture frame" Avon. 

Solid VG with some spine fading and minor handling wear.

$12     Now $10

Avon_102.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

Popular Library No. 303 - "Bound Girl" by the Webbers. Terrific GGA cover art by Sam Cherry. You might guess by the title and era of this book that the girl would be helpless but instead our heroine is turning the tide...

Near Fine with very slight spine slant with some slight spine fading but otherwise minor handling wear. 

$20 

Popular_303.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

Popular Library No. 226 - "Sudden Bill Dorn" by Jackson Gregory. A lantern-jawed gunhand and his clementine as painted by Sam Cherry.

VG+ copy with very slight spine slant and some minor creasing and soiling near the spine. Sharp, tight copy really. 

$12       Now $10

Popular_226.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

On 1/23/2024 at 8:29 PM, PopKulture said:

Pocket Books No. 271 -  “The Bride Wore Black” by Cornell Woolrich. Second Pocket printing. Cover art by Hoffman. Tough book by a highly collectible author. 

VG-/VG copy. Tight binding but a center crease front cover and some soiling and spine rubs. 

$20

Pocket_271.jpg

:takeit:

Avon No. 241 - "What's In It For Me?" by Jerome Weidman. Classic headlights cover by Ray Johnson. 

G+/VG- copy with nicks to lower left corner and upper spine, and some minor tracing indentations when the books is held at an angle, and slight insect damage upper edge back cover. 

SOLD

Avon_241.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

Avon No. 257 - "Aphrodite" by Pierre Louys. Life and love in pagan Greece indeed! GGGA (Good GREEK Girl Art)! 

VG+ with some cover pullback and minor handling wear. A really nice presenter.

SOLD

Avon_257.jpg

Edited by PopKulture