• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED PopKulture's Paper Miscellanea - Vintage paperbacks, early pulp fiction and some $5 comics
7 7

329 posts in this topic

Pocket Books No. 164 - "Puzzle For Players" by Patrick Quentin. A fantastic in-your-face skull cover and a First Pocket Printing. 

VG copy with obvious corner crease and spine rubs; otherwise, a nice tight copy of a classic skull cover (I know it's not quite Punch Comics 12!). 

$20    Now $16

Pocket_164.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

Pocket Books No. 231 - "The Judas Window" by Carter Dickson. A truly atmospheric masterpiece of skeletal proportions by cover artist Leo Manso. And a Pocket First Printing! There were so many classic mysteries put out by Pocket in this era. 

A VG+ copy - tight, flat, clean except with spine fading and a few rubs. Otherwise, better than my keeper. Structurally very sound.

$20    Now $18

Pocket_231.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
lowered price

On 1/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, PopKulture said:

Avon Books No. 273 - "Imperial City" by Elmer Rice. This is right in that Avon sweet spot where almost every book is a home run as far as cover art. 

Near Fine, a clean Avon with nice gloss, minor spine slant and some minimal cover pullback (Avons are notorious for the covers with lamination shrinking over time and revealing that right edge). 

$15

Avon_273.jpg

:takeit: as per PM.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:01 PM, PopKulture said:

Avon No. 241 - "What's In It For Me?" by Jerome Weidman. Classic headlights cover by Ray Johnson. 

G+/VG- copy with nicks to lower left corner and upper spine, and some minor tracing indentations when the books is held at an angle, and slight insect damage upper edge back cover. 

$15

Avon_241.jpg

:takeit: as per PM.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:06 PM, PopKulture said:

Avon No. 257 - "Aphrodite" by Pierre Louys. Life and love in pagan Greece indeed! GGGA (Good GREEK Girl Art)! 

VG+ with some cover pullback and minor handling wear. A really nice presenter.

$15

Avon_257.jpg

:takeit: as per PM!

On 1/23/2024 at 11:13 PM, PopKulture said:

First up we have a serviceable copy of Avon No. 177 - “Midsummer Passion” by Erskine Caldwell.

A nice clean VG+ copy with minor edgewear and some rubbing to the spine.

$15

Avon_177.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 11:25 PM, PopKulture said:

Avon No. 128 - "Ten Nights of Love" - a collection of ten short stories with a terrific romantic cover. 

VG+ only minor wear on a tight copy. 

$15

Avon_128.jpg

On 1/23/2024 at 11:34 PM, PopKulture said:

Popular Library No. 1392 - "Jailbait" by William Bernard. Later printing of Popular 392 (hence the practice of adding a "1" before the original number).

A stone cold classic GGA cover by Rudolph Belarski.

Solid VG copy with some cover creasing and slight spine slant. 

$20

Popular_1392.jpg

Take please

On 1/24/2024 at 8:48 AM, alecholland said:

Will you have any sci-fi books?

I have a few sharp Burroughs with Frazetta covers, but I don’t think I have much in the way of sci-fi except the occasional straggler. I pulled a few boxes of stuff a while ago for a sale, but I’m only now getting around to it and I don’t remember everything that went into the boxes months ago. While I was digging around, I found a box of movie magazines I had intended to list on eBay; that was probably ten years ago and they’re still sitting (trouble is, now I want to keep most of them!). 

On 1/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, PopKulture said:

I have a few sharp Burroughs with Frazetta covers, but I don’t think I have much in the way of sci-fi except the occasional straggler. I pulled a few boxes of stuff a while ago for a sale, but I’m only now getting around to it and I don’t remember everything that went into the boxes months ago. While I was digging around, I found a box of movie magazines I had intended to list on eBay; that was probably ten years ago and they’re still sitting (trouble is, now I want to keep most of them!). 

OK, I'll keep watching to see what you post. I mostly collect sci-fi paperbacks, but I have a fairly decent amount of fantasy and sword & sorcery as well including most of the ERB Frazetta covers. 

I'm going to post a few leftovers from last night and then try to post some 60's sleaze later tonight.

Avon No. 255 - "Tropical Passions" anthology with passionate headlights cover art.

Fine+ condition - great gloss, minimal cover pullback, although as with most laminated covers, it has shrunk over time resulting in a spine slant and some misaligned signatures on the righthand edge. Clean book with minimal wear. 

$30      SOLD via PM

Avon_255.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

Dell No. 58 - "Murder For The Asking" by George Harmon Coxe. A really simple and effective cover treatment by the great Gerald Gregg.

VG++ Light creasing to the covers and light rubs lower spine. A really clean mapback.

$25    SOLD

Dell_058.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

Dell No. 36 - "The Hammersmith Murders" by David Frome. Another terrific stark airbrushed cover by Gerald Gregg.

VG+  with spine slant and right corner crease LRFC keeping it from grading higher. 

$25 for a clean early mapback.  SOLD

Dell_036.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

Pocket Book No. 855 - "The Case of the Backward Mule" by Earl Stanley Gardner. Brutal and violent cover art by Frank McCarthy. First printing. 

VG spine slant and corner crease LRFC and some soiling on the back cover.

$20     SOLD

Pocket_855.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

Popular Library No. 241 - "The Fortunes of Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabatini. A classic cover about intrigue on the high seas by Rudolph Belarski.

Near Fine with some surface rubbing to the covers, and slight soiling back cover. Nice colors!

$20    SOLD

Popular_241.jpg

Edited by PopKulture
Sold

On 1/24/2024 at 8:08 PM, PopKulture said:

Popular Library No. 241 - "The Fortunes of Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabatini. A classic cover about intrigue on the high seas by Rudolph Belarski.

Near Fine with some surface rubbing to the covers, and slight soiling back cover. Nice colors!

$20

Popular_241.jpg

Nice copy! Someone needs to snag these early 50's GGA Populars, pretty much all classic covers (thumbsu

On 1/25/2024 at 2:08 AM, PopKulture said:

$20

Popular_241.jpg

Take

On 1/25/2024 at 2:05 AM, PopKulture said:

Pocket Book No. 855 - "The Case of the Backward Mule" by Earl Stanley Gardner. Brutal and violent cover art by Frank McCarthy. First printing. 

VG spine slant and corner crease LRFC and some soiling on the back cover.

$20

Pocket_855.jpg

Take