• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matthew Vaughn's ARGYLLE starring Henry Cavill (2024)

28 posts in this topic

Reclusive author Elly Conway writes best-selling espionage novels about a secret agent named Argylle who's on a mission to unravel a global spy syndicate. However, when the plots of her books start to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, the line between fiction and reality begin to blur.

Do you know how hard it is to find something Argyle at the last minute?

Flannels yes, even checked a thrift store or two and was met with "we don't have an argyles section!" And "we only sell women's 2nd hand clothing"  :roflmao:

Found plaid even, but Argyle is pretty specific!

Screenshot_20240129-173230.png

So I looked and found Argyle and my plus one, so we brought or wore something Argyle. We got an argyles movie shirt, and they were happy, which I knew they would be.

IMG_20240130_181629315.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 1/30/2024 at 6:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So I looked and found Argyle and my plus one, so we brought or wore something Argyle. We got an argyles movie shirt, and they were happy, which I knew they would be.

It was such a a chick flick that I see how a long time ago superheroes in tights were viewed by some.

I still could enjoy for what it was. It had familiar actors and actresses, which some are only in it at the beginning, and so a lot of killing off that spared no expense. A lot of people laughed, and for PG-13, kids were there and enjoyed it as well 

I only wish the tagline

"The greater the spy, the bigger the lie"

Was on the shirt.

But I understand the need for the cat, and somehow has a Richard Tracy looking silhouette, that at first glance reminded me of scud the disposable assassin but again is more its own detective Tracy type.

IMG_20240131_072436911.jpg

IMG_20240131_072401464.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I read one review that said, "a guy is hitting on you and everything is great, but then he continues, so you make an excuse to leave."

Wth kind of review? Like it's going great? Doesn't ever go bad just continues so you make an excuse to leave? That's is what the movie is like? 

What's the point of that review lol that he didn't immediately try to bed you and move on to the next? Check please lol

I don't get off on movie results nor reviews, I thought it was good. That did make me laugh so I had clicked on it lol

Told my dad at Starbucks the plot, he said it sounded a bit like the Manchuria candidate, which I guess it did. It all seemed familiar but was more enjoyable than others I've seen. And if it is old hat then it is old hat. :cheers:

I saw this posted in the reviews, which goes for most movies, but especially this one, so I guess I can see this movie not doing well for those who are bothering to read critic reviews for a minor film.

I guess with the big names like kings man and etc people wanted blockbuster rather than just good casual interest viewing 😂

Blind as possible makes sense, since your not discussing agreements for a car loan.

But anyway slow boards night :fear:

Screenshot_20240131-181908.png

On 1/31/2024 at 8:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screenshot_20240131_191702_Facebook.jpg

Haven't seen the movie but the review here says "It's not bad, but it's not truly perfect in my honest opinion.", then gives it a C- grade.  To me that just seems like a pretty wide gap between saying that it is close to perfect and getting a C-.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:42 AM, media_junkie said:

Haven't seen the movie but the review here says "It's not bad, but it's not truly perfect in my honest opinion.", then gives it a C- grade.  To me that just seems like a pretty wide gap between saying that it is close to perfect and getting a C-.

ya I was on my tablet and it wouldn't let me screenshot then scroll it to get the whole article. It didn't mention what they were "expecting" either. I only know my point of view, but I'll try to get the full thing here in a second

Argylle is basically a James Bond movie with Henry Cavill. – Movies365 by Henry Pham (wordpress.com)

Just letting you know, this movie is not based on the book or anything, it’s actually an original film offered by the team of Kingsman about a novelist who is writing an action-spy novel. Argylle revolves around an introverted spy novelist named Elly Conway who writes best-selling espionage novels about a secret agent named Argylle, who’s on a mission to unravel a global spy syndicate. However, when the plots of her books start to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, the line between fiction and reality begins to blur, leading to her discovery that Agent Argylle is, in fact, real and that she can become an actual spy in real life. 

Actress Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World trilogy) stars as the spy novelist named Elly Conway while actor Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) portrays his supporting role as an actual spy named Aidan, who primarily serves as real-life Argylle character to Elly. Actor Henry Cavill (Man of Steel), in his second time collaborating with Vaughn, actually plays the titular, fictitious role in some sequences throughout the film respectively. The acting duo, Howard and Rockwell, are great. Their chemistry is flawless as they encounter a ton of bad-guys-fighting adventures and get the opportunity to explore around the world as well as learning about trust, which is the main signature of this film. Cavill, on the other hand, is magnificent despite only playing a fictional character, but in truth, he never ceases to surprise anyone, including Bryce Dallas Howard, who is starstruck with Cavill’s character and appearance. 

Having a plethora of experience with making spy movies, Kingsman filmmaker Matthew Vaughn takes the stage as a main director of the film with Jason Fuchs serving as head writer. As film director, Vaughn utilizes the same formula he did from the Kingsman films, keeping the story inventive and stylish, even if it means using a much greater triple-A acting cast and frequent collaborators. Not only that, but he also treats this movie as sorta like a action-superhero movie given the fact he was also involved in the production of X-Men: First Class (for which he also directed) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (for which he produced and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Visual Effects). The film gathers some influences from other spy films, including the James Bond franchise, Die Hard, and the Kingsman films. The characters are highly anticipating (and also hilarious) to watch, but some of their dialogue has gone clunky and ineffective for a ordinary action-packed adventure film.

Speaking of a greater triple-A acting cast as mentioned above, the cast also did extremely well and they made the right choice in choosing this action-packed film. Here, we have actors, Bryan Cranston (AMC’s Breaking Bad) as Ritter, Catherine O’Hara (CBC’s Schitt’s Creek) as Elly’s mother Ruth, Dua Lipa (Barbie) as LaGrange, Ariana DeBose (Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story) as Keira, Sofia Boutella (Rebel Moon) as Saba Al-Badr, John Cena (HBO’s Peacemaker) as Agyille’s partner Wyatt, and Samuel L. Jackson (Marvel Cinematic Universe films) as Alfred Solomon. 

Argylle is basically a James Bond movie with Henry Cavill. Most of the acting cast did great and all, and I respect that each and everyone of them are trying their hardest on making his film as hilarious and entertaining as ever like other spy films. To be honest, it’s actually a fun spy movie with lots of laughs, bruises, surprises, and twists. And the Kingman references and easter eggs are highly noticeable as well. Unfortunately, Jason Fuchs’ dry and wooly writing, the scenes rushing due to pacing, and the comedy being added too much really take away the main focus on making a great James Bond-sized spy movie. It’s not bad, but it’s not truly perfect in my honest opinion.

GRADE: C-

I think the 1st part just went into the description of background, but not about the actual movie.

Basically James Bond type but uneventful in that it isn't your "typical flash grenade spectacular", of which I agree.

It was basically a more homely or average person tale, that ends up being useful, but I wouldn't call it

A Watered Down C- 

But that is from the source that I got the tickets, and yet, I can say that it struck me as odd as well.

Spoiler

In fact all the reviews that I've read so far, are some kind of out of the box review as I mentioned earlier.....

idk if it is a regular person kind of flick or more down to earth kind of enjoyment that is to "complicated because it is simple" or they are running out of imagination as critics. LOL Critics of Critics! :idea:lol 

But it comes down to it embraces it's uniqueness of being silly, it just isn't slapstick like a Lesly Neilson movie.

It starts out serious and gradually admits along the way to being silly, I'd call it a chick flick in the way the hero gets around being an everyday Joe to make something out of it in the end.

Chick Flick in short. Instead of beaches and rain to find out love was there all along?

It is ordinary woman taking care of business, until a "ninja kicking take down the bad guy, with love interests was there all along" kind of deal.

I enjoyed, and maybe that wasn't too much of a spoiler as I'm rambling but this should make sense now... that it slowly builds to "Layer Cake" on top of itself, until it is over the top and embraces it. Layer Cake with Daniel Craig was good but more serious than this film that plays on its absurdness. 

Which I call it a chick flick, because instead of starring a goofy guy like Nielson, it is a female star just not slapstick