• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Matthew Vaughn's ARGYLLE starring Henry Cavill (2024)

26 posts in this topic

_1511456315_653_apple-mobile.jpg.a7171baf84dcc2701eb7dad18b385d78.jpg

2c Imagine being able to throw away $200M at a clip and no one bats an eye

Via Deadline: After a few weeks without any studio wide releases, Apple Original Films‘ $200M Argylle via Universal is hoping to entice moviegoers back, but it won’t be in a big way. Last night’s previews for the PG-13 Matthew Vaughn directed action movie made $1.7M, which is below the $2.4M previews clocked by Amazon MGM’s The Beekeeper a few weeks ago. That movie posted a $16.5M opening, so any hope that Argylle will get to that $20M+ some exhibitors were seeing — I don’t think so.

Edited by paperheart

"Trying to be too cute for it's own good" would be my one sentence review. 

The lesson here may be that your audience will only follow you so far down the rabbit hole.  Feels like the (semi?) success of the Kingsman films may have gone to Vaughn's head just a little.  

I still like the way he shoots his actions scenes, and there's some fun stuff here, but I am also about 98% sure the plot of this movie doesn't make any sense at all.  I haven't actually tried to work my way back through it yet, but it suggests a kind of disrespect for one's audience.  i.e. "they won't care if it doesn't make any sense as long as we make it big and flashy enough.  They'll just go with it...."    

On 3/4/2024 at 7:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

image.png.062ad12fd72a0a0b193fe24d56bcbacd.png

lol I enjoyed it, it doesn't fit in a frame of blockbuster, which I would struggle to define nowadays anyway lol Well, except for maybe Dune. Maybe it was just a bit of: out of the box thinking. I wouldn't call it streamlined nor new, but a good book is like that (shrug) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 3/4/2024 at 4:43 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I enjoyed it, it doesn't fit in a frame of blockbuster, which I would struggle to define nowadays anyway lol Well, except for maybe Dune. Maybe it was just a bit of: out of the box thinking. I wouldn't call it streamlined nor new, but a good book is like that (shrug) 

Saw it for myself last night. Not the horrible movie people are making it out to be. It is a typical Matthew Vaughn wild spy ride.

I think the big hurdle was too many story twists which with the general audience that would require more cerebral reflection than they are willing to invest time in. But also excessively purposely convoluted to the point it takes you out of thoroughly enjoying the zaniness of this story.

Still, better than I expected. And Henry Cavill is in this more than 5 minutes as he is a persona self-reflection for the lead character, and pops in repeatedly. Including that ending.