• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to this but I have an unopened Spawn #1
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I purchased this when I was a kid. Just thought spawn was cool. Never read comics so it’s sat in storage for almost its entire life. To my knowledge it has never been opened or removed from the plastic cover. I have only included the front because I’m hesitant to open it up at this point. I’ve seen some asking price for good condition ones over $1000. Maybe I’m kidding myself but I’m trying to do some homework and see if this is worth getting graded. Any advice or input is really appreciated. It appears to have no marks on the surface and all the edges are straight. If you want me to post a close up of any one part let me know.  The white mark in the bottom left is on the plastic cover it is in. I’m probably gonna send it off but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks for any input!

Spawn Cover.jpeg

Back.jpeg

Edited by Wmar
Rescanning with a background color

I’m open to suggestions. And do not want to come off as rude. So I ask out of ignorance, but which part of the guidelines did I skip. If you are referring to front and back I thought a brief explanation as to why I did not post the back would suffice. If I’m an error please let me know. Also I have added a second image with a colored background behind the comic inside of the sleeve. If I am misreading or omitting something else please let me know. Thankyou 

Thanks, I don’t know stuff .  just listen to other folks who I consider to know more than me. In this case that is just about everyone. I’m scanning the back now. Still interested in opinions on grading 

We'll be happy to provide you that grade. We just have to see (at least) the front & back covers. If it was an older book, you might want to post photos of things like the centerfold that are more likely to be damaged from reading over the years. I have little fear there is anything hidden inside this one.

Is the front cover scan in the bag? I see what looks like the remnants of a price tag along the bottom. I'm also seeing a line in the BLFC just under the cape. It will matter if that's on the book

Here's what I see. Possibly some light fraying along the spine fold. A white dot that may be something or nothing next to the bottom staple. Some bluish ink or something along the back spine. Could be misapplied ink during production or transferred from contacting other comics sometime during it's lifetime. To the limits of how well one can grade books from photos, I'd give this a 9.4/9.6. It might have 9.8 potential, but I would not bet on it personally. What you do with grading depends on what you plan to do with your comics. If you like graded comics & want this for a personal collection, grading might be a perfectly fine option especially if you don't care that much about the assigned grade. If you are looking to sell, this is a 9.8 or bust book IMO. Grading isn't cheap when you add in CGC membership, grading fees, shipping, etc. If you got a 9.6, you'd probably break even. With a little luck that got the book a 9.8, you might make a small profit; however, it probably isn't enough profit to be worth the hassle or risk.

You could potentially send it to be screened. 

I'm not sure about that dot. The spine looks a like it has something going on,  but that may just be the scan. 

On the BC along the spine you've got some type of stain.  Overspray? Ink rub? Finger prints from yesteryear? It could possibly be addressed with a dry clean. 

I agree it's a 9.4 /9.6.  It's got sharp corners and no visible spine ticks.  I've seen worse books get a 9.8 so I think it's got a shot. 

Good luck! 

On 1/29/2024 at 10:54 AM, shadroch said:

I've bought four copies in the last month that are nicer, and paid under $8 for each of them. 

Twenty-plus years after it was published, I'd wager that the majority of Spawn 1s have never been opened. 

Which is a shame since the art is pretty good and the story is not bad either.  I enjoyed the Spawn McFarlane run.  The million copy print run definitely makes it easy to find.

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/28/2024 at 10:03 PM, Wmar said:

I purchased this when I was a kid. Just thought spawn was cool. Never read comics so it’s sat in storage for almost its entire life. To my knowledge it has never been opened or removed from the plastic cover. I have only included the front because I’m hesitant to open it up at this point. I’ve seen some asking price for good condition ones over $1000. Maybe I’m kidding myself but I’m trying to do some homework and see if this is worth getting graded. Any advice or input is really appreciated. It appears to have no marks on the surface and all the edges are straight. If you want me to post a close up of any one part let me know.  The white mark in the bottom left is on the plastic cover it is in. I’m probably gonna send it off but wanted to get some opinions first. Thanks for any input!

Spawn Cover.jpeg

Back.jpeg

Just an FYI with comics, people list stuff ALL the time on ebay with wild asking prices. Always check sold listings. This book as is is probably $20-40 and paying the money to grade it (might be 9.4-9.6 from what I see), you might end up spending more than that grade is worth. It is a book that sold over a MILLION copies. Literally every collector between the ages of 20-50 probably has one. Not to diminish it, it still has value despite all that

In order for it to be worth $1000, it would probably have to be signed by the creator (Todd McFarlane) and be a 9.8 newsstand (has a bar code in the bottom left instead of yours which has nothing). And even then, 1K might be steep.

Edited by comicginger1789