• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shadowhawk Saga - Silver Ashcan?
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Hi guys.  I'm looking for some information on this book.  I have the silver edition of the Shadowhawk Saga Ashcan, I sent this to CGC myself, and I'm trying to find the history of it.  I see there is one other graded copy (9.4) on the census, but other than that I don't know if this is an error edition or just a hard to find variant.  The gold, red and even blues are all fairly common.  I've owned two silver moon Batman/Grendels over the years, and I know there's a silver Aliens, so I know Hero put out silver editions of their other ashcan books and I'm wondering if this is along those lines?  Thanks!

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2439.jpg

Possibly a silly question, but the CGC label says Hero Premiere Edition #9. Have you checked a bagged copy of Hero Illustrated #9, or maybe it was a later month (the 9th ashcan, not necessarily issue #9) to see if they're still in the original bag?

Edited by valiantman

The silver Batman/Grendel was a mail-away contest, wasn’t it? I didn’t really read Hero and don’t have any copies, so I’m not sure if the other ashcans followed a similar format.  

On 2/5/2024 at 5:29 PM, awakeintheashes said:

The silver Batman/Grendel was a mail-away contest, wasn’t it? I didn’t really read Hero and don’t have any copies, so I’m not sure if the other ashcans followed a similar format.  

Something like that, apparently limited to 25 - but there's no way it was limited to 25 copies, they pop up more frequently than that (100-200?).

On 2/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, valiantman said:

Possibly a silly question, but the CGC label says Hero Premiere Edition #9. Have you checked a bagged copy of Hero Illustrated #9, or maybe it was a later month (the 9th ashcan, not necessarily issue #9) to see if they're still in the original bag?

Well, the thing is the Shadowhawk ashcan has three other variations - gold, red and blue (the latter two being less common) - and I don't think the other ashcans have at least 3 variants but I could be wrong.  All of the Shadowhawk Ashcans (Red, Gold, Blue) seem to be quite common, I haven't bought any of the magazines or seen any in any quantity to suggest distribution levels between the three....given that there are several silver editions of these Hero ashcans (as pictured above), I think this was a planned release and not necessarily an error (there is at least one other copy on the census).

On 2/7/2024 at 5:24 PM, awakeintheashes said:

There are copies available at MCS and atomic avenue, but unfortunately neither listing has any additional information. 

I don't see any copies on atomic?  I see the one at MCS...it's definitely worth grabbing for $5 from them, they say it's the silver.

On 2/8/2024 at 8:37 AM, spreads said:

I don't see any copies on atomic?  I see the one at MCS...it's definitely worth grabbing for $5 from them, they say it's the silver.

https://atomicavenue.com/atomic/TitleDetail.aspx?TitleID=16434&M=1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:53 AM, spreads said:

Where is the silver copy?  I don't see it....

There are four versions listed (make sure the “only in stock” box is unchecked). I see the Silver, Gold, Blue, and Red. Is there another color variant?

On 2/9/2024 at 9:24 AM, awakeintheashes said:

There are four versions listed (make sure the “only in stock” box is unchecked). I see the Silver, Gold, Blue, and Red. Is there another color variant?

I selected each of the drop down options, and I don't see any copies?  Perhaps someone bought it, how many did you see?

On 2/9/2024 at 9:49 PM, spreads said:

I selected each of the drop down options, and I don't see any copies?  Perhaps someone bought it, how many did you see?

There was a silver for $0.90 when I posted my last reply. This is what is available now. 

IMG_7203.thumb.png.3cc8db2871720d32932efed0cdbadb35.png

On 2/9/2024 at 10:21 PM, awakeintheashes said:

There was a silver for $0.90 when I posted my last reply. This is what is available now. 

IMG_7203.thumb.png.3cc8db2871720d32932efed0cdbadb35.png

Nowhere does it actually say it's silver though.  So you can't be sure until you get it in the mail....

On 2/12/2024 at 2:57 PM, spreads said:

Nowhere does it actually say it's silver though.  So you can't be sure until you get it in the mail....

Yeah, I guess. Maybe whoever bought it can post which version they received. Either way, there's the listing entry if anyone cares enough to monitor when future copies are for sale on AA.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:08 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

image.thumb.png.4ff43d552c729311547b04823ad956b9.png

:popcorn:

The copy that was available for #1 (not 1A, 1B, 1C) had a “silver cover” note in the item notes section. It was available for $0.90, so if this is something rare, someone got a deal.