• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2023 results
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, Brian Peck said:

I think if any of your entries in the top 4 or 5 categories get over 5 votes, given the number of entries and the level of competition, you're doing well. 

Man what a showing of killer pieces! 

The Bernie Wrightson’s Frankenstein illustrations were almost my favorites, but at the end of the day nostalgia wins, and FOR ME the best in show is:

Steve Lawrence’s X-Men 102 slash by the great Dave Cockrum

IMG_9806.jpeg.40af7f506e929fa3665e29abbb7cd695.jpeg

CAF Link

Who knows what my childhood would have been like without Dave’s creations, would I have maintained my interest in comics without the dominos Dave tipped over with his contributions to the New X-Men? It’s hard imagine the X-Men without Storm, Colossus and Nightcrawler!!! 

THANKS DAVE!

Edited by gumbydarnit

I have to say I never cared much for the xmen as I thought it was a corny soap opera, but that issue 102 is super cool.   That was one I enjoyed reading and loved the art for as well.    Out of the cockrum run that might be my favorite issue.

I am curious about the criteria for these things. Do you have to add the art to CAF during the year? Or acquire the art AND add it to CAF.  Because it seems like a lot of heavy hitters are adding pieces they’ve had in their collections for a while. Maybe I’m wrong, of course. 

On 2/8/2024 at 2:32 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I am curious about the criteria for these things. Do you have to add the art to CAF during the year? Or acquire the art AND add it to CAF.  Because it seems like a lot of heavy hitters are adding pieces they’ve had in their collections for a while. Maybe I’m wrong, of course. 

Its done on the honor system. Pieces that are posted during 2023. The Best of is a way to share pieces acquired during the year. So many pieces are posted in the CAF during the year its easy to miss them. Best of is a way to see the ones you missed poster in the year.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:30 AM, Brian Peck said:

Its done on the honor system. Pieces that are posted during 2023. The Best of is a way to share pieces acquired during the year. So many pieces are posted in the CAF during the year its easy to miss them. Best of is a way to see the ones you missed poster in the year.

I knew that. But it seems like some of the pieces being posted were not actually acquired during the past year, but only added to CAF. I don't know how you could police that in any case. I only submitted pieces that I had acquired during the year. 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:39 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I knew that. But it seems like some of the pieces being posted were not actually acquired during the past year, but only added to CAF. I don't know how you could police that in any case. I only submitted pieces that I had acquired during the year. 

It doesn't matter when you acquired the piece, only when you posted it on CAF. The process of submitting your pieces for consideration automatically locks out pieces submitted in other years. Lots of people have probably had art for a while before uploading it to CAF.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, RBerman said:

It doesn't matter when you acquired the piece, only when you posted it on CAF. The process of submitting your pieces for consideration automatically locks out pieces submitted in other years. Lots of people have probably had art for a while before uploading it to CAF.

I get that. But I’d prefer if it were limited to pieces that were acquired during the year. Makes it more interesting. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 2/8/2024 at 2:05 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I get that. But I’d prefer if it were limited to pieces that were acquired during the year. Makes it more interesting. 

Too many entries to police, we had just under 1700 entries not everyone submitted 5 entries each so there was about 350 who participated. Most people post their art during the year but a small number don't and then rush to post before the end of the year. Not sure what evidence you have that people post art they didn't get in 2023. Many don't participate in Best of and rarely post art but I know a number of the that do get a good many of pieces during 2023 and many high end but they don't usually;;y publicize the fact. That may be why a number of you think people post art they got out side of 2023. For me I have been a part of Best of for longer than CAF is been around. I just want people to post the art so I can see what I missed what was posted the previous 12 months. If a few get posted that they own and they didn't get in 2023 I don't mind much. They are sharing and that is one of the reasons for the Best of when it started some 25 years ago.

My three entries were all bought at public auction last year, so, easy to verify.

That said, I have Heritage hold all my purchases until I'm ready to have them shipped. As a result, I have some late 2023 purchases which will get shipped to me at some point this year and may end up getting posted on CAF. I would have no problem including these in the 2024 "Best Of" showcase as I don't count these until they are actually in hand. I mean, if you buy a piece on eBay on 12/31 and it doesn't arrive until Jan. 7, should that make it ineligible for that year's Best Of? IMO, no.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:54 AM, John E. said:

I think of this celebration within the community as the “Best Post of the Year” more than “Best Acquisition.”

Exactly. Why do I care whether you acquired the piece yesterday or ten years ago? The point is that you posted it on CAF last year for others to enjoy, and the awards are an opportunity to celebrate (and incentivize) that behavior.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:38 AM, delekkerste said:

I mean, if you buy a piece on eBay on 12/31 and it doesn't arrive until Jan. 7, should that make it ineligible for that year's Best Of? IMO, no.

Yep, this is where I was. I bought a cover from a rep in early November and it was sposed to arrive so I added it to CAF. I don't like to put it on CAF til I physically have it. Things got crazy and I forgot about entering anything in Best Of.

3 months later it's still not here or shipped altho hopefully soon. I'm thinking about deleting it off CAF and re-upping once it's in hand...not that it's a big contender or anything.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:53 AM, Twanj said:

Yep, this is where I was. I bought a cover from a rep in early November and it was sposed to arrive so I added it to CAF. I don't like to put it on CAF til I physically have it. Things got crazy and I forgot about entering anything in Best Of.

3 months later it's still not here or shipped altho hopefully soon. I'm thinking about deleting it off CAF and re-upping once it's in hand...not that it's a big contender or anything.

I think if you buy it, and it's on the way, you can count it. 

I'm just expressing my preference. I see the merit in motivating people to unearth nice pieces from the black hole on CAF for others to enjoy. But, to me, if you've been holding onto a piece for 10 years, or five years, only to drop it on CAF in December so you can get a Thor's Hammer, I don't know if I agree with that. But, whatever. I don't have any way of policing it, or proving my point. 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:21 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I'm just expressing my preference. I see the merit in motivating people to unearth nice pieces from the black hole on CAF for others to enjoy. But, to me, if you've been holding onto a piece for 10 years, or five years, only to drop it on CAF in December so you can get a Thor's Hammer, I don't know if I agree with that. But, whatever. I don't have any way of policing it, or proving my point. 

I agree - look a lot of veterans could win this thing if they can pull from their secret pile from 20 years ago - heck, I might have a piece or two myself but that is just not cricket!

One of the most impressive pieces in the interior page category I voted for was the New Mutants 98/1st app of Deadpool. Not only are those rare as hen’s teeth but most of them are owned by Jim Halperin, and this was not Jim’s. People must be sick of Deadpool and his omnipresence in culture because in the end the page was met with a 8-way tie for 14th place (it’s like #42 in the gallery). That’s why I don’t fret about blackhole pieces getting posted because there is no guarantee anything will take the Prize. Too many collectors from different generations with too many tastes. (If this Rob Liefeld example is any indication, too many with good taste apparently.)