• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locally Philly Show Con Report and Big Apple Show Comments

1 post in this topic

I started a new thread primarily because I had an opportunity to sit down with Mike Carbonaro for about half an hour and discuss some of my thoughts on the Big Apple and National year end show. Plus, I'll share some of my thoughts on the local Philly show.

A while back, Brian Schutzer (who comes on here and helps to respond to commentary about Neat Stuff) had reached out to me because of some of the concerns and suggestions I had made concerning the Big Apple show, admission, guests, etc. I spoke with Brian at the National and he was gracious and receptive to all the commentary and criticism that I had for the show. Today, I was able to speak to Mike Carbonaro as well, and he was very interested and listened to a number of different ideas I had for improving the show.

I'm hopeful that Mike and crew do everything they can to continue to improve the show and I believe they are trying. I think they'll try and infuse some life into the shows by having higher profile guests who are more modern artists. Also I'd love to see an end of the year industry awards show at the National, since it stands alone as the major end of the year show, as I've heard Mid Ohio is in the decline (similar to the way Pittsburgh is going).

If you have suggestions for the Big Apple on how it could improve, please post them here, or email me or PM NeatStuff here on the boards.

As for the Local Philly show, it was a lot of fun today. Spoke to Bob Siman, Brett (Solar), Psiknight as well as make the rounds chatting with Al Stoltz and Gary Platt (as well as chatting a bit with Mike Carbonaro). I was surprised to Marc Nathan, and pleasantly surprised, because it appears as if he is becoming a regular. As always, Al had some fantastic books, as did Jeff, but nothing that was really grabbing me. The book Bob Siman bought, the Adams Tec, was probably my favorite book that I saw of Al's. Bought an Avengers 16 that was a restored 8.5 (that he had slabbed by CGC who caught the dot of color touch). Except I couldn't find the color touch and neither could Bob, Brett or any of the dealers I let look at it, but I still got a very nice deal from Bob.

Also bought a very nice eye appeal ASM 39 from Gary Platt, that was a terrific buy.

Sold a bunch of books as well, and will be starting to list more books, probably starting with modern lots tomorrow here at some nice prices...