• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

original Starlin Thanos Storyine in TPB?

13 posts in this topic

Are there any TPBs that accumulate the Thanos appearances from Iron Man #55 through the different titles he appeared in and finishing with the 2 Annuals?

I did some searching on Amazon tonight and it didn't look promising.

Thanks,

Pete

Nope. No Thanos trade paperbacks collecting that material. There is, however, a Life and Death of Captain Marvel that has the Iron Man 55 in it.

This TPB collects Iron Man 55, Captain Marvel 26 through 34, and the Death of Captain Marvel Graphic Novel. I highly recommend it, as basically you've got the first Thanos Saga (Cosmic Cube). The next saga, which includes AA 7 and M-2-in-1 annual 2, is also a spectacular read. Finally, Infinity Gauntlet was a great read. But, as far as I'm concerned none of the sequels have been any good.

Best,

The Warlock storyline to which Hari refers is indeed those two annuals, Strange Tales 178-181 (no Thanos, but pip and Gamora are in it), Warlock 9-15, and then the Annuals. I asked Joey Q. about this being reprinted but never got a real straight answer than they weren't able to at that time. Infinity Gauntlet is one of my all time favorite storylines.

Of all the "classic" Marvel series of the 1970s that deserve reprinting, the Warlock-Thanos-Magus saga is the one that deserves it most. I have never understood why Marvel hasn't reprinted this series in trade paperback. I mean, we got an Ant-Man Essential and they reprinted all that Chuck Austen junk, but no Starlin Warlock? Huh? Does Starlin, by some cosmic superpower, control the rights or something (that's doubtful, as Marvel's policy was as it is today — work-for-hire; also, Warlock is owned by Marvel and so are the other characters)? I just don't get it...

Of all the "classic" Marvel series of the 1970s that deserve reprinting, the Warlock-Thanos-Magus saga is the one that deserves it most. I have never understood why Marvel hasn't reprinted this series in trade paperback. I mean, we got an Ant-Man Essential and they reprinted all that Chuck Austen junk, but no Starlin Warlock? Huh? Does Starlin, by some cosmic superpower, control the rights or something (that's doubtful, as Marvel's policy was as it is today — work-for-hire; also, Warlock is owned by Marvel and so are the other characters)? I just don't get it...

It may have alot to do with Warlock's story not making a whole hell of alot of sense unless you're familiar with the stories that have gone before.

Jim

Maybe there's still some hard feeling over at Marvel for Jim's "bullpen satire" in Strange Tales 181... people can have a long memory about that kind of thing.

And there has never really been a true reprint of any of Starlin's 1970's material, as even the Captain Marvel "graphic novel" was heavily edited, with pages and content deleted. I'd personally like to see someone just slap everything from Captain Marvel 25 to MTIO Annual #2 into a big tome, just the comics and covers, with no "graphic novel" editing.

It may have alot to do with Warlock's story not making a whole hell of alot of sense unless you're familiar with the stories that have gone before.

Jim

Huh? What did you need to know about what went on before? Starlin recapped EVERYTHING in Warlock's history prior to Strange Tales 178 in the series and kept recapping things throughout to keep new readers up to speed.

I don't know what Warlock you're talking about, unless you're speaking of the Greg Pak series recently published by Marvel. Or the Warlock series that came out in the 1990s after Infinity Gauntlet.

Warlock, though, as written and drawn by Starlin in the 1970s was done perfectly and stands the test of time as one of Marvel's greatest comics.

No doubt about it. It needs to be reprinted.

There's a Warlock Special Edition series (issues 1-6) that reprints the storyline that began (iiirc) in Strange Tales 181. Came out in the early 80s on baxter paper or something like that - in any case, it's a nice-looking reprint. Should be found cheap.

And there has never really been a true reprint of any of Starlin's 1970's material, as even the Captain Marvel "graphic novel" was heavily edited, with pages and content deleted. I'd personally like to see someone just slap everything from Captain Marvel 25 to MTIO Annual #2 into a big tome, just the comics and covers, with no "graphic novel" editing.

Come on Marvel, make it happen... cloud9.gif

Maybe there's still some hard feeling over at Marvel for Jim's "bullpen satire" in Strange Tales 181... people can have a long memory about that kind of thing.

what type of stuff was deleted?

what type of stuff was deleted?

Lot's of supposedly 'non essential' story pages are missing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif