• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When You See a Piece For Sale From Someone You Won't Buy From...
1 1

61 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2024 at 6:51 PM, J.Sid said:

Great thread. I used to think I would be strong, but then a grail-ish piece from my childhood showed up for sale from "Seller/Dealer/Website X"

It was bad. I held out for a long while. But it was one of those stupid scenarios where they raised the price a couple times after it didn't sell. In the end I swallowed my pride and paid up. It was during the pandemic surge and I didn't want the price to get raised even higher!

Passed this test early on. There was a definite "grail-ish" piece being offered by a now-defunct auction house during one of their comic art sales. Not an auction, just a straight sale. Would have bought it in nearly any other circumstance...but there was a chance the art had been consigned by a well-known snake in the hobby. He had been known to use this auction house as an outlet for his sales, to preserve his phony amateur status. I didn't know for sure if the art was his consignment. But just the chance that it was put me off enough already. So I passed. No regrets.