• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Bijou Funnies #1 - Rare 1st print?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I’d like to get your thoughts on the grade for this book.  But also if any of you are familiar with it. From what I’ve read, this 1968 first printing is very rare.  I never heard of this book until I picked it up today and it’s hard to find prices on it so I’m not sure if it’s worth grading.

Both the front and back cover have a small piece missing from the bottom right corner.  The front and back covers also have a large overhang from the interior pages - that is apparently a feature of the first printing.

Thanks

IMG_8069.jpeg

IMG_8070.jpeg

IMG_8071.jpeg

IMG_8072.jpeg

IMG_8073.jpeg

IMG_8074.jpeg

IMG_8075.jpeg

IMG_8076.jpeg

IMG_8077.jpeg

If I understand the description correctly, this is a 2nd print & is much more common than the 1st. You can compare the scans at mycomicshop as well, this has edges on the cover than are wider like the 2nd print. They also have an 8.5 2nd print for <$100, so not terribly valuable, especially in this condition, which is probably is under 6.0

https://comixjoint.com/bijoufunnies1-1st.html

On 2/17/2024 at 12:27 AM, scburdet said:

If I understand the description correctly, this is a 2nd print & is much more common than the 1st. You can compare the scans at mycomicshop as well, this has edges on the cover than are wider like the 2nd print. They also have an 8.5 2nd print for <$100, so not terribly valuable, especially in this condition, which is probably is under 6.0

https://comixjoint.com/bijoufunnies1-1st.html

Thanks for the link; it was a big help.  I'm pretty sure this one is the 1st print.  Here's what I found on comixjoint:

HISTORICAL FOOTNOTES:
There are two printings of Bijou Funnies #1, both with 50-cent cover prices. The 1st printing (unknown copies) is by Bijou Publishing Empire and is identifiable by the significant overlap of the covers to the interior pages (over half an inch, as seen in the scan above). The 1st printing also has higher-grade interior paper (white pages) than the 2nd printing (6,500 copies), which was published by Don Donahue and Kerry Clark and has newsprint interior pages. There are notable color and printing differences on the front cover art between the first two printings. Nard's nose on the 1st printing has a much redder tip (solid red, in fact) and his vest, hat, jacket and tie are all different colors than on the 2nd printing. The circular pattern in the background of the 1st printing also has a moire pattern that is eliminated in the 2nd printing.

Comixjoint also shows pictures of the 2 versions:

The first print has a deep red tip of the nose, brown hat, and a red vest and tie, for the person pictured on the cover.  And a big overlap of the cover vs interior pages.

The second print has a pink tie and an orange vest, black hat, and interior pages flush with the exterior cover.  

The one I've shown has all the features of the 1st print.