• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Requested From Current CANADIAN eBay Users Please

7 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the correct forum but ...

1.  I'm Canadian.  For the 1st time in years I sold an item.  Buyer paid no problem.

2.  I listed the item on eBay.com NOT eBay.ca.  Amount was < $50 US

3.  My eBay acct is in US funds.

4.  eBay sent me a notice saying that funds were being held pending receipt of the following:

a) Valid ID (Passport # or driver's licence). I provided that.

b) Bank account info so that payment could be sent there...

and that they would send the funds to the specified bank account once I provided the banking info.

QUESTIONS

1.  Does eBay not send payments to your PayPal account anymore?

2.  If I have a bank account in US funds, will they send the payment in US funds?

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Yep, ebay and Paypal went their separate ways and ebay just sends seller funds to your bank account. If you're used to using Paypal as the middleman for everything it's an annoying change, as you are clearly discovering!

On 2/20/2024 at 2:54 PM, Point Five said:

Yep, ebay and Paypal went their separate ways and ebay just sends seller funds to your bank account. If you're used to using Paypal as the middleman for everything it's an annoying change, as you are clearly discovering!

:mad:   Thanks!  

So since my PayPal is in US funds, I guess that I'd be best served to create a US bank account then?

Is there a benefit for Canadians to list on eBay.ca as opposed to eBay.com?  

On 2/20/2024 at 4:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

So since my PayPal is in US funds, I guess that I'd be best served to create a US bank account then?

A US bank account makes sense for sure if that's doable. Once your funds are there, you can pay off a PayPal Credit balance if desired; that's what I do. So you can still use ebay and PayPal together, it's just an extra step.

Our Canadian boardies would be far better able to answer your ebay.ca question than I could.

On 2/20/2024 at 4:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

All of my listings are on Ebay.ca.

The main benefit is that everything happens in Canadian dollars, so listing price, selling price, and you final fees and payout are all shown in CAD which is handy if you are tracking that stuff. More than half of my sales are from US buyers so they are clearly not filtered out when you list on .ca.  

I did a couple of listings on .com when I first sold some comics on Ebay years ago and found the payment stuff to be a pain. Not sure of how many of the issues I experienced are the same since I never sold on .com again. 

On 2/21/2024 at 3:25 PM, Stefan_W said:

All of my listings are on Ebay.ca.

The main benefit is that everything happens in Canadian dollars, so listing price, selling price, and you final fees and payout are all shown in CAD which is handy if you are tracking that stuff. More than half of my sales are from US buyers so they are clearly not filtered out when you list on .ca.  

I did a couple of listings on .com when I first sold some comics on Ebay years ago and found the payment stuff to be a pain. Not sure of how many of the issues I experienced are the same since I never sold on .com again. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not a big volume seller by any stretch - my sale a few days ago was my first in years.  I do all my business in US dollars as it is the currency of business in the collectibles world.

I guess that I'll open up a US$ account as eBay will not allow payments to go to PayPal.