• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you account for fading on one region of the cover when grading?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Overall this copy is structurally in the Fine to Fine/Very Fine zone, nice corners, a dirty back cover that might improve from a bit of TLC, and some general wear. But that strip on the right hand side front cover where the purple has faded to light blue is a major flaw in an otherwise quite presentable book. I know the common understanding is that fading matters less the lower the overall grade (but also that buyers will shy away from sunfaded copies regardless), but how do you grade a book like this with it as a major conspicuous flaw? I'd probably personally knock it down to a VG/F, but curious how others would approach it. 

PXL_20240221_165857470.jpg

Edited by rlextherobot

I believe most guides allow some sun shadow/discoloration in the Fine range; "how much" is always the question.

I don' think such a book should be in the VF range

I think the 7.0 range might be maximum for a very clean copy aside from such sun damage.

I think Fine range is definitely acceptable for this type of defect (meaning lower grades are also)

With this book, it would not stun me to see a 7.0 although I feel 6.5 would be most appropriate personally.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:06 AM, rlextherobot said:

Overall this copy is structurally in the Fine to Fine/Very Fine zone, nice corners, a dirty back cover that might improve from a bit of TLC, and some general wear. But that strip on the right hand side front cover where the purple has faded to light blue is a major flaw in an otherwise quite presentable book. I know the common understanding is that fading matters less the lower the overall grade (but also that buyers will shy away from sunfaded copies regardless), but how do you grade a book like this with it as a major conspicuous flaw? I'd probably personally knock it down to a VG/F, but curious how others would approach it. 

PXL_20240221_165857470.jpg

I don't have an opinion on your original question--but wonder if you got it graded because i'd love to know the answer?  Also i think it looks stunning regardless--the fading in this instance creates a very pleasing color gradient that compliments the cover in an odd way.  I'd be happy to have this in my collection!

Just like everything else in grading there are lots of Gray areas when it comes to fading, there is nothing specific in the grading standards mentioning "partial fading", fading itself is not mentioned until VG 4.0, before that everything is based on "cover reflectivity", all of this leaves it up to the individual grader, unless, there is something specific mentioned in the CGC Grading Guide pertaining to this.

The book seems to have other areas of fading, personally I would grade this book as a FN 6.0.

VF 8.0 - Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity.

FN/VF 7.0 - Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. 

FN 6.0 - . Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity.

VG/FN 5.0 - Inks have moderate to low reflectivity.

VG 4.0 - Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed.

GD/VG 3.0 - Cover reflectivity is very low.