• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NARUTO directed by Destin Daniel Cretton in development (TBD)

1 post in this topic

This was first announced in 2015, so what an intriguing development, especially with the success of Netflix's One Piece :x

I've always maintained the film - presuming it's the first of a trilogy - should focus on the Land of the Waves, the Chunin Exams and then ending with the Third Hokage's confrontation of Orochimaru ~

Also felt this news even more intriguing since CGC is currently looking for a Manga expert for grading Manga *fingers crossed on Japanese manga* lol

Naruto, one of the most popular mangas of all time, is headed to the big screen.

Destin Daniel Cretton, who co-wrote and directed the Marvel Studios movie Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, has been tapped to pen and helm a live-action adaptation of the title for Lionsgate.

Cretton will also produce alongside Jeyun Munford through his company, Hisako. The duo join Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Emmy Yu of Arad Productions, who are behind the studio’s upcoming video game adaptation Borderlands, and Jeremy Latcham (Dungeons & Dragons).

Created by Masashi Kishimoto, Naruto was a coming-of-age story focused on a young and enthusiastic ninja named Naruto Uzumaki who wants to grow up to be the leader of his ninja village but also happens to have the spirit of a dragon inside him. The story was serialized in Japan’s popular Weekly Shonen Jump from 1999 to 2014, tracking the character’s coming-of-age, friendships, and many super-powered ninja battles.

In that time, it became one or the world’s most popular intellectual properties, with over 250 million copies of the collected volumes sold in more than 60 countries and territories. It also launched several animated series that ran for years on Cartoon Network, Disney XD, Adult Swim and other networks. It has been adapted into video game form and continues to be a merchandising juggernaut. Naruto has essentially been building hard-core fans around the world for 25 years.

Cretton has Kishimoto’s blessing, something bestowed upon him after a visit to Tokyo. “When I heard of Destin’s attachment, it happened to be right after watching a blockbuster action film of his, and I thought he would be the perfect director for Naruto,” said Kishimoto in a statement. “After enjoying his other films and understanding that his forte is in creating solid dramas about people, I became convinced that there is no other director for Naturo. In actually meeting Destin, I also found him to be an open-minded director who was willing to embrace my input, and felt strongly that we would be able to cooperate together in the production process.”

Edited by Bart Allen