• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WATCHMAN PAGE

33 posts in this topic

Not trying to start a fight here KK, but to me this page is a perfect example of why OA is NOT fine art. I mean, look at that page. No one would give two squirts of pizz if it wasn't from the watchmen. NONE of the value of that piece is from the ART itself. It's from fanboy nostalgia over what a great (totally overrated, btw) COMIC series watchmen was confused-smiley-013.gif

Bronty,

I agree with you with respect to this particular page not being fine art but that is neither here nor there.

The only reason I posted it was the simple fact that it is 'a watchman page' and there is interest in it as such.

That said, to draw a generalization about OA qualifing as fine art based on this one piece is imho myopic. There are many pieces of OA that qualify as fine art. For example,

1028020-watchmen1.jpg

THERE ARE MANY OTHER PIECES OF OA THAT ARE MUSEUM QUALITY FINE ART PIECES. Alotta the ASM Cover's for example qualify as such.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

1028020-watchmen1.jpg.9a02e3fbda0fb68170f84356a61eb598.jpg

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. Nice frazetta stuff is truly top calibre art. But that's the exception rather than the rule IMO. For example, when it comes to the ASM covers... I totally disagree. If not for the subject character, most would be totally uninteresting confused-smiley-013.gif

Further to that post; you know... when you say that 'ASM covers are art' you're defining art by the subject matter rather than the skill of the artist... that's KRAZY!! tongue.gifforeheadslap.gif

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. Nice frazetta stuff is truly top calibre art. But that's the exception rather than the rule IMO. For example, when it comes to the ASM covers... I totally disagree. If not for the subject character, most would be totally uninteresting confused-smiley-013.gif

Uninteresting ????

image_332_1_full.jpg ASM #23

...........and the cover would probably look KILLER !!!!!!!!!

Moreover,....some of the ASM Covers are so remembered....that the subject matter propels the art into ICONIC STATUS....irrespective of the debate over fine art.

BOTTOM-LINE: You cant say "if not for the subject matter",...thats dismissing the whole point of the Art !

What if we dismissed the artistic significance and relevance of the Cave drawings of Lascaux because it is of dumb crudely drawn animals ? ? ?

stoneag_lascauxanimls.lg.JPG

I said MOST. Of course you pick #23. Tell me how interesting any of 150-250 are. or 419. or 416. or 392. or 281. I don't even have to look at those covers to know I don't want to see them.

$1902 for this? Man... that's way more than I expected. Considering that there are hundreds of Watchmen pages floating around, that's a hefty price.

Agreed,..and Hari's page is 10 times SWEETER,....thus,..one can conclude,..Hari got a very SWEET deal. As this particular page is bleh,..in comparison with Hari's !

KK

$1902 for this? Man... that's way more than I expected. Considering that there are hundreds of Watchmen pages floating around, that's a hefty price.

Agreed,..and Hari's page is 10 times SWEETER,....thus,..one can conclude,..Hari got a very SWEET deal. As this particular page is bleh,..in comparison with Hari's !

KK

Hi guys,

Here's a scan of the Watchmen page I picked up a couple months ago, that KK is talking about. I don't think I'd say it's worth 10X as much, but certainly it's one of the finest examples I've ever seen, especially if you're a Rorshach fan. There are really only about four or five great Rorschach "torture" pages in the series, and this page from his origin sequence is really a nice example. 10X would be 20K, and for sure Watchmen pages are nowhere near that value at this point. The only interior pages that I've seen approach that level are Ditko Spidey or Dr. Strange, Bolland Killing Joke, and of course pages from key issues (ASM 129, X-Men 94, GS X-Men 1, Marvel Comics 1, etc.).

As for the 1900 price tag on the one on ebay, I agree it's a little high, but market value is definitely 1500 or so these days. I sold the preceding page for 1100 dollars about three years ago on ebay, and a dealer bought it (Conrad Eschenberg)! So, 1500 or more for an average page is definitely where the market is at this point, with nicer pages pushing 7-8K. As with Dark Knight and Killing Joke pages, especially nice Watchmen pages will surmount 10K some time soon.

Anyway, all Watchmen pages are nice, as they represent a small part of a truly exceptional and historic story within our medium, so congrats to Phil for winning it!

watchmen6p24.jpg

Agreed that Watchmen is an exceptional story, but there could be about 10 times as many Watchmen pages on the market as there are Killing Joke pages.

Totally agree... Killing Joke pages have always been, and will continue to be, quite rare. No more than a single page trades hands each year, if that.

There are 336 pages to Watchmen compared with 46 pages to Killing Joke. The price escalation for Killing Joke pages is based, thus, partly on the extremely low relative supply, in addition to the high demand. I think that the absolute best Watchmen pages will start to match Killing Joke pages eventually (over the next five years), as Watchmen is a more important storyline/event overall and is more likely to retain this importance over time (if anything, it's more well-known now than it was in the mid-80s!).

This being said, I'm a die-hard Killing Joke fan... probably my single favorite issue of all time. The combination of that story (however you interpret it), and that spectacular art, is (IMHO) unmatched. You can't get a more complete comic offering in 46 pages.

Best,

An interesting question is... how many pages of Watchmen are actually on the market? How were the pages split up and were they all sold? I've seen some of my favorite Watchmen pages in private hands, so I'm assuming that almost all if not all of them are on the market.

heartened Thats a nice page

Where you get you stuff?

Hi Ares,

This page could have been yours! It was on ebay in September. Of course, you would have had to outbid me! wink.gif It happens, but rarely on items I REALLY want.

Thanks for the compliments on the page. I have two other pages from the series, from issue 12, also. They're all keepers!

Best,

An interesting question is... how many pages of Watchmen are actually on the market? How were the pages split up and were they all sold? I've seen some of my favorite Watchmen pages in private hands, so I'm assuming that almost all if not all of them are on the market.

Despite the fact that there are 336 pages in total, there really are only a handful (5-8?) that come to market each year. Surprisingly few! For the most part, people are keeping these in their collections.