• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp pressing & cleaning. Is this really a good idea?

4 posts in this topic

So with pulp grading and slabbing I see they are now also offering pressing & cleaning services.  In my many years of pulp collecting I have never heard of this being a thing.  With the fragility and poor paper quality of the books, is this a wise thing to do?  I mean in the short term I suppose it could improve the look of the cover, but is there a possibility it could do long term damage to the paper?  Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.  Personally, I’m hesitant to have this done.

I don't know that much about the pressing process, but it does seem to me you have a higher chance of doing damage to these books which I would say on average are quite a bit more fragile than comics due to age and paper.  @joeypost could weigh in on this.  Although I don't know if he's actually been pressing pulps, he would have a good sense of how the process might impact these books differently.

It would have to be a book by book evaluation, like many older more worn comics. I have done worked on many pulps over the years and things can go south quickly if you are too aggressive in your approach, especially the dry cleaning and prep stages. 

The thought of cleaning a pulp worries me. More so for my pulps that appear to be above the 7.0 grade. And even scarier, some of these high grades look like a cleaning would make a significant difference. If I ever submit a high grade copy, I gonna over capture so many high-res images. 

Would be interesting to hear from (reputable) pulp cleaners on how pulps compare to comics wrt cleaning.