• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub-mariner 1 (silverfish damage)
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Well with a clean and press this book is higher grade. There's 1 small water spot above the indica on the top left..and I don't have a full back cover picture, I'll add it later,but there's nothing wrong with it, less than the front cover.

Will it get a CGC Qualified label or a universal blue like 1.0?

Damage doesn't affect anything except the margin... and a tiny spot on the bottom of the spine where the bug got in the book...

IMG_20240226_054925.jpg

IMG_20240226_054958.jpg

IMG_20240226_055018.jpg

IMG_20240226_055026.jpg

IMG_20240226_055035.jpg

On 2/28/2024 at 12:51 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I am always curious about this....visually without the bug chew, it seems 8.0 range for sure. Does the chew knock down to a 7.0, 6.0 or worse?

Personally calling it 6.5 but this is the kind of thing we need to learn about!

It's going to get pressed and cleaned up and it will be at CGC upcoming. I will post a grade after. I was told it wouldn't qualify as qualified, so that's expected to be out of the equation... But we'll see what happens... 

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 2/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

It's going to get pressed and cleaned up and it will be at CGC upcoming. I will post a grade after. I was told it wouldn't qualify as qualified, so that's expected to be out of the equation... But we'll see what happens... 

Yeah big chews don't result in the qualified grade. Definitely share the results because I am intigued!

You never can tell with CGC I guess, but 6.5 seems too high to me. I'd be deeply unhappy to receive a 6.5 book with an interior hole that size.

I had a nice-looking Romantic Hearts #9 with a smaller nibbling to the bottom corner get a 5.5. The Sub-Mariner appears to have a larger nibbled area inside, but looks a bit nicer from the outside. I'd guess it clocks in at 5.0. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:40 AM, Readcomix said:

I thought Qualified was for books that present far better than their technical grade that results from a glaring flaw — if this isn’t appropriate, what is? 

Yeah but they seem to reserve the qualified grade for high grade books missing coupons and such, as well as high grade books with signatures on them (that were unwitnessed). I suppose too I have seen qualified grades on books with completely detached or partially detached covers. A bug chew is not something I have seen but maybe it would be considered given the nice shape of the books otherwise

On 3/1/2024 at 10:57 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah but they seem to reserve the qualified grade for high grade books missing coupons and such, as well as high grade books with signatures on them (that were unwitnessed). I suppose too I have seen qualified grades on books with completely detached or partially detached covers. A bug chew is not something I have seen but maybe it would be considered given the nice shape of the books otherwise

Makes sense to me. Maybe the silverfish used scissors to prepare their meal! Seriously, who cares about the how? The result is the same — small section missing.

Posted (edited)

So the book is in route to be cleaned and pressed with the other 2 books I bought that day...that are structurally similar but do not have chews...Then they will be sent off to CGC and I will post the results.

The initial thought at CGC is that the book will not Garner a Qualified label and the chew will deduct from the grade, how much depends on obviously factors and the initial grade the book would receive without the chew.

So we all wait it out and I'll let you know...

IMG_20240225_102437.jpg

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 3/1/2024 at 9:57 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Normally bug chew includes highly visible cover damage, though. This silverfish apparently hated the taste of cover stock, so only chewed the interior. I feel that makes this a better candidate for a green label, because there's very little about the exterior that suggests such a substantial defect exists.

But when CGC decides green labels apply or not is one of the truly inscrutable mysteries of the universe.

The grade range from the Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics for Missing Pieces (which includes chews) is 0.5 to 9.8 so...that's helpful.  The guide also indicates (although in a convoluted way) that as long as the comic is otherwise 3.5 or higher, and the missing interior piece does not impact an area of 2 x 2 of the story or ad, then a comic may receive a qualified grade.

I look forward to you posting your results on this so we can all learn how this is actually treated.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:26 PM, Cerebus3000 said:

The grade range from the Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics for Missing Pieces (which includes chews) is 0.5 to 9.8 so...that's helpful.  The guide also indicates (although in a convoluted way) that as long as the comic is otherwise 3.5 or higher, and the missing interior piece does not impact an area of 2 x 2 of the story or ad, then a comic may receive a qualified grade.

I look forward to you posting your results on this so we can all learn how this is actually treated.

Interesting for sure.

I'm sure a lot of boardies will be awaiting the grading of this odd situation book 😂