• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare is missing production staple-bronze age book?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have a high grade book that is missing a staple. An obvious error in production due to no holes in place where staples would be. See photo. Does this effect value good or bad especially if it is a key?IMG_1724.thumb.jpeg.fa12b88a19c67f29c17a7169a915d5c2.jpeg

On 2/29/2024 at 9:58 AM, NickEG said:

Yeah, I was curious how uncommon for a book to have a missing staple during manufacturing process 

I mean it is rare. But I feel like in my lifetime as a collector (25 years) I have sold several and personally own several (couple from Silver Age and Bronze Age). 

Personally, if someone has a VF copy of Hulk 181 with staples and one without (even though it is a production flaw), I would pay less for the one missing the staple. That is just me though...other collectors are welcome to weigh in. Maybe some would pay the same but I doubt any would pay more for such a flaw.

The only production flaws that collectors get excited (and usually pay more for) are double/multiple covers and really wacky errors (like upside covers, covers on the wrong book, weird inking errors that drastically change the cover appearance)

Edited by comicginger1789

I don't know that I wouldn't buy an issue without staples, but it certainly wouldn't be something that I would go out of my way to find.  Like comicginger said, I don't think it's something that most people would pay a premium for.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:37 AM, NickEG said:

I didn’t know if it was worth getting it graded missing a staple, but it’s in very good condition even so.

IMG_1720.jpeg

Wow that's a stunner!  I'd love to have an oddity like that in my collection and would definitely pay the high end of the fair market value range for one without a staple, which is to say i would pay more than for a copy with both staples, but only by a bit.