• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages
2 2

10 posts in this topic

When a book has Brittle Pages.. are the pages intact adequately to avoid deterioration once the book is in the CGC holder? 

Is there a low or high risk that the pages could breakup or deteriorate when it's in the CGC holder? 

Thanks

On 3/1/2024 at 2:42 PM, comicjack said:

Flakes sometime fall to the bottom of the slab all depends how old the slab is .The inner jacket should hold the newer slabs from dropping pieces from what i see (thumbsu

Thank you again. Have a good weekend.

All comics are going to deteriorate inside the holder over time. Brittle ones just have a nice headstart. A really smart boardie here taught me that the most important thing is to avoid big changes in humidity and temperature. 

Buy a thermometer/barometer and try to avoid large fluctuations in temp/humidty where you store your books. 

On 3/30/2024 at 4:54 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok the fact no one has asked for my opinion is no deterrent here.  I must say this blows my mind . . . 

IMG_9540.jpeg

IMG_9542.jpeg

Every time I’ve succumbed to the siren call of crumbling paper I’ve regretted it. If otherwise a book was a 9.8 how high a grade could a slightly brittle grade book get?  Not very high I’d hope. 

"Brittle Page Regrets!" It could be a classic lurid fifties paperback. I've only got two books in this category; they both make me want to cry. I remember when the Jerry Robinson books were on offer at a SDCC; they were mostly brittle pages. I would have bought one but the taint of the brittle pages steered me clear happily!

On 4/28/2024 at 4:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now this confuses me. The pages are OW/W, but the spine is brittle?? Everything I thought I knew is wrong 

IMG_9899.png

I propose it was stored in an exposed stack, that is, not in a closet or box/chest or other container.

The stack protected the pages from air exchange but the spine stuck out 1/4" or so, caught air and rotted.