• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excessive Name Writing on Cover.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have an Avengers #8 that's a great looking copy with the exception of the name "Reo" written on the cover about 8 times!  I know pressing wouldn't help but I'm wondering if this amount of writing would absolutely destroy the grade.  Without the writing I'd say its a 4.5 but with writing would it drop to a 1.0?  Also would a copy like this even be desirable to a collector? Thanks for any advice!

PXL_20240305_002008207.jpg

On 3/4/2024 at 4:20 PM, bjornson said:

I have an Avengers #8 that's a great looking copy with the exception of the name "Reo" written on the cover about 8 times!  I know pressing wouldn't help but I'm wondering if this amount of writing would absolutely destroy the grade.  Without the writing I'd say its a 4.5 but with writing would it drop to a 1.0?  Also would a copy like this even be desirable to a collector? Thanks for any advice!

Does Reo dance on the sand?

IMO, according to the grading standards, this book will fall into the GD/VG 3.0 to VG 4.0.

Writing on the cover is mentioned in VG 4.0 and not mentioned in any grades below that, only date stamps/arrival dates are allowed in grades VG/FN 5.0 and above.

VG 4.0 - Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. 

I disagree. I think what we have here goes beyond initials and stamps. Most concerning to me is the marker. It might get a 4.0 (I strongly doubt it), but I expect that potential buyers would not value it that high.   

Structure aside, this is a low grade book. The good news is; lots of people like low grade books.

On 3/4/2024 at 7:20 PM, bjornson said:

Signed by half the entire band , REO Speedwagon🎶🎶🎶

On 3/7/2024 at 11:43 AM, KirbyJack said:

I disagree. I think what we have here goes beyond initials and stamps. Most concerning to me is the marker. It might get a 4.0 (I strongly doubt it), but I expect that potential buyers would not value it that high.   

Structure aside, this is a low grade book. The good news is; lots of people like low grade books.

...and has the marker bled through?