• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it dangerous to buy a comics with moisture?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2024 at 2:11 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

You'd probably get better answers if "moisture" was more defined. Moisture can be light cockling to musty smelling to rusty staples to "was once waterlogged." 

A little light cockling can easily be pressed out and minor musty smell can be removed... the books may turn out great. Once you get to the point where there is rust or mildew, I'd avoid. 

Very great answer. Rust isn't nearly as serious as mold/mildew though.

I have a couple of books from my childhood collection that were water damaged when the local comic shop flooded. I bought them for a dollar each in the fire sale that followed. I was in grade school but was smart enough to make sure they were completely dry before bagging. They both are warped, but no stained pages or mildew and the colors inside and out are vibrant 40 years later.
IMG_5428.thumb.jpeg.e4b84db818edd2617befe9032e4c2b68.jpegIMG_5422.thumb.jpeg.a4afbb2abacccef0ab6ae7385cae17ae.jpeg
IMG_5430.thumb.jpeg.736627adb672a64c6950553f699ffdf0.jpegIMG_5429.thumb.jpeg.0a0cea79220e530650719fc64fa4baaa.jpeg

On 3/5/2024 at 12:14 PM, stormflora said:

I'm just saying that there are worse things a comic can experience than some water, which you can heat press to desiccate and smooth out. Sure, might lead to some rust on the staples and weaker fibers, but the comic's still going to outlive you anyway.

And, FWIW, virtually every single presser out there moisturizes your comic with at least distilled water before pressing, if it is not Modern Age or perhaps Bronze Age. So that's technically "water damage" already.

Since the process where some moisture used to aid the pressing process is controlled and does not damage the book I would not put it into the category of "water damage." Outside of a vague "wet stuff" similarity, pressing comics and causing damage by spilling things on them, etc, are pretty much entirely different things. 

From a cold air condition indoor grading facility and out to ship in a warm environment...  condensation happens.   And when condensation happens.  What do you get? Moisture.  Especially things in an enclosed plastic casing.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:14 AM, stormflora said:

I'm just saying that there are worse things a comic can experience than some water, which you can heat press to desiccate and smooth out. Sure, might lead to some rust on the staples and weaker fibers, but the comic's still going to outlive you anyway.

And, FWIW, virtually every single presser out there moisturizes your comic with at least distilled water before pressing, if it is not Modern Age or perhaps Bronze Age. So that's technically "water damage" already.

This isn't even close to being the same thing. 

You cannot "heat press [a comic that's been exposed to water] to desiccate and smooth [it] out." 

Please. Stop spreading misinformation. 

EDIT: I guess you could heat press a soaked comic...enjoy the completely fused interior. 

Edited by newshane

EDIT - it really depends on the amount of moisture damage. 

Once you see "tide lines" it's game over. 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:17 AM, CAHokie said:

I thought comic cleaning involved dipping them in the tub with soap and quickly bagging them. :ohnoez:

No - you have to hang them on the clothesline first so that they can dry.  Never bag a wet comic!

On 3/5/2024 at 10:20 PM, pemart1966 said:

No - you have to hang them on the clothesline first so that they can dry.  Never bag a wet comic!

But I wanted to lock in that new clean comic smell… :sorry:

On 3/5/2024 at 10:28 AM, newshane said:

Avoid moisture and mold at all costs. 

Hard to think of a worse exposure...maybe fire or insects? 

Poop stains. Yes, I found some in a book once. It's no longer in my collection. 

There's also pages sticking together for "other" reasons. This mostly happens with 90s bad girl comics.

Edited by D84

On 3/5/2024 at 9:43 PM, D84 said:

Poop stains. Yes, I found some in a book once. It's no longer in my collection. 

There's also pages sticking together for "other" reasons. This mostly happens with 90s bad girl comics.

The fecal bandit strike again!

And the good ol' sticky pages pedigree. Most notably found in old Playboys.