• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it dangerous to buy a comics with moisture?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Are a comics who show some moisture will deteriorate himself faster than an other one? Is it to buy a comics with this kind of defect, is to avoid? 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:50 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Wet comics?

Nah, they're fine.

Generally a very bad situation, leading to warping of the paper at the very least, possibly discolouration.

As I stated in another thread, the pedigree Namor collection has books which are naturally resistant to the damage, shrug it off, and are highly sought after for this resilience.

There are always exceptions.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:18 PM, Cat said:

Very dangerous. Considered the equivalent of kissing a cobra. 

Not even once. 

Yup. The OCD threat level is that intense. No understatement.

On 3/5/2024 at 7:39 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Generally a very bad situation, leading to warping of the paper at the very least, possibly discolouration.

As I stated in another thread, the pedigree Namor collection has books which are naturally resistant to the damage, shrug it off, and are highly sought after for this resilience.

There are always exceptions.

You sound like someone who's never dried out a comic on a BBQ grill.

I stand by my statement.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:55 PM, Sigur Ros said:

You sound like someone who's never dried out a comic on a BBQ grill.

I stand by my statement.

No, I haven't. I'll admit it.

My first thought is that it would come out all crinkly and maybe stiff as a board.

I've seen one or two soaked, ship's ballast copies that made their way by surface to the UK.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:00 AM, BA773 said:

Are a comics who show some moisture will deteriorate himself faster than an other one? Is it to buy a comics with this kind of defect, is to avoid? 

Avoid moisture and mold at all costs. 

Hard to think of a worse exposure...maybe fire or insects? 

On 3/5/2024 at 10:05 AM, stormflora said:

Moisturization can be very easily pressed out.

What in the Sam Hill? ???

From the web...

• Mould and mildew growth: High humidity creates a conducive environment for mould and mildew growth, leading to unsightly spots, discolouration, and unpleasant odours on book pages.
  • Paper deterioration: Excessive moisture can cause paper to become weak, brittle, and prone to tearing. This deterioration is accelerated by the swelling and shrinking of paper fibres as they absorb and release moisture.
  • Warped and curled pages: Fluctuations in humidity can cause pages to warp, curl, or become wavy, distorting the book's appearance and potentially making it difficult to read.
  • Ink bleeding and smudging: Moisture can cause the ink on pages to bleed, smudge, or transfer onto adjacent pages, compromising text and images as well as legibility.
  • Binding complications: High humidity can weaken adhesives and binding materials, leading to loosened or detached pages, covers, and spines.

https://gobacktothepast.com/grading-101-humidity-damage/

On 3/5/2024 at 11:28 AM, newshane said:

Avoid moisture and mold at all costs. 

Hard to think of a worse exposure...maybe fire or insects? 

Maybe it's just me, but I would say fire is WAY worse than water... for paper products.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, newshane said:

What in the Sam Hill? ???

I'm just saying that there are worse things a comic can experience than some water, which you can heat press to desiccate and smooth out. Sure, might lead to some rust on the staples and weaker fibers, but the comic's still going to outlive you anyway.

And, FWIW, virtually every single presser out there moisturizes your comic with at least distilled water before pressing, if it is not Modern Age or perhaps Bronze Age. So that's technically "water damage" already.

Edited by stormflora

You'd probably get better answers if "moisture" was more defined. Moisture can be light cockling to musty smelling to rusty staples to "was once waterlogged." 

A little light cockling can easily be pressed out and minor musty smell can be removed... the books may turn out great. Once you get to the point where there is rust or mildew, I'd avoid.