• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape a piece of comics back together again, restoration or not?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Sometimes when comics are fallen people tape them to avoid more damage but my question is:

If a comic have already a piece of him who have been totally detached if you tape it back with the comics would it be considered as restored? 

A grade deduction due to tape making a repair will depend on the grade of the book and what defect the tape is attempting to repair, there are no black and white answers to the question, the new CGC grading guide may be more specific on this as Overstreet is not.

Books are graded in their entirety taking all defects into account, however, according to the grading standards just for tape...Does that mean that any book with tape automatically drops in grade to VG 4.0 or lower, No.

VG 4.0 - Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. 

GD/VG 3.0 -  Tape and other amateur repair may be present. 

FR/GD 1.5 to GD 2.0 - Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books.

CGC's stance on tape is that they will grade the book as if the tape was not present, only accounting for the defect it is attempting to repair.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

IE: You have a book that would other wise be a VF/NM 9.0, the book however has a 2" tear in the cover or a corner piece that has fallen off and is being secured with tape or a spine split being held together with tape, CGC will grade the book taking the tear, missing piece, spine split into consideration as a defect when grading as if the tape were not present and downgrade the book appropriately if it is an otherwise higher grade copy. There are other examples that I am not familiar with, such as, if someone completely taped the spine as a preventative measure to keep the spine from being damaged, there is no defect the tape is hiding, the tape itself is now the defect. 

I have no idea how CGC grades "Pop Hollinger" books, I am sure their is leeway given due to the historical significance and the age of the books.

Comic books "Hollinger entered into the comics trade through his retail store and expanded into mail order. Originally a side business, he became so successful that he began working on ways to trade comics and began experimenting with restorative methods.[1] His restoring attempts included using tape and staples[3] and were primarily done to enhance the longevity of the reading experience rather than to boost the collector value. Hollinger referred to this process as 'rebuilding' and to the comic books as 'rebuilt comics'."

Some folks Hate Tape and will never buy a book with tape, me, I have no problem with tape, my goal was to complete runs on a budget so low grade "Well Loved" books were my thing. Back in 2015 I graded, cataloged and photographed my 2000 books, at that time if I felt tape was needed I used it. (Most of those books have not seen the light of day since) I have numerous low grade books in my collection that I used tape on, these are books that have multiple tears, pieces falling off, spine splits, chipping, etc. and the tape is only doing one thing, preventing the book/cover from  getting worse everytime/anytime it is touched, due to the already low grade, the tape has no affect on the grade whatsoever.

Example...

Daredevil-1-FR-1-0.jpg

Generally speaking, tape used to "repair" defects is graded as if the tape was not present. If you've got a detached piece taped back on, the book will be graded as if the tape, and the detached piece, are not present. If tape is used to re-attach a centerfold, it will be graded as if the centerfold is detached. And so on. None of these will get a book a purple label.

Also, if you're going to use tape on a comic, whatever grade it might be, please consider the minimal extra expensive of archival-grade tape rather than Scotch tape or its ilk.