• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 5th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 2 BOOKS!
7 7

65 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2024 at 10:06 PM, Point Five said:

4. Startling Comics #45

This was a toughie; pretty well pummeled around the edges but still some eye appeal there. Grade felt about right to me.

startling45slab.thumb.jpg.1163233fd15c00f1227dccfabc3700ad.jpg

Book has zero business being a 3.5. I feel like these lower grade books are being pushed up, VG range books should still maintain some eye appeal.

After finishing equal last on the Round 1 grades, it seemed to me that CGC was grading at least 1 grade higher than they did when I started learning about the grading system here a few years ago.

So I added 1 level to what I thought the grade should have been and got two bullseyes. 

If this is not a fluke, the good news is that my entire collection of raw books has got a huge upgrade!

On 3/12/2024 at 9:32 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

it seemed to me that CGC was grading at least 1 grade higher than they did when I started learning about the grading system here a few years ago.

hm

On 3/12/2024 at 9:59 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Maybe you haven't noticed if you have been posting regularly here but I have had a break for a year or so from the grading pages and these grades seem more generous than they used to be. I see that people are making similar comments elsewhere in the PGM forum.

Adding a grade to an estimate isn't a bad practice, particularly with GA and key books. 

Sometimes you gotta go with what could be a book's best possible grade. Focus on it's attributes, even in mid or low grade, and not just it's flaws.

It ain't surefast though.

2c