• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fred Hembeck Artwork (published comic book art)

6 posts in this topic

Hello,
I think it’s about time to start a thread on published comic book artwork by Fred Hembeck.

We all know his sketch cards or cover redos in his unmistaken style, but Fred Hembeck has been producing comic book artwork going back to the early 80’s and like a fellow collector recently commented, we rarely see these pages or covers anywhere.

I always had a soft spot for these funny books, and Fred 100% fits into this category, so I was super excited that he was featured on CAF and even more excited to see that his work pops up in some major collections.

So lets see them published pages - can’t wait what you all have!

Posted (edited)

Let me start with this complete 5 page story from the original 1984 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book, actually from issue 2. In the reprint of issue 2, they featured this origin story by or in Fred Hembeck’s style and view.

Here is the link to my CAF featuring this story.
https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=2003344

qnMlY62D_1403241407551gpaiadd.jpg

BGsu2qor_1503240818161gpaiadd.jpeg

CEvsFMym_1403241408261gpaiadd.jpg

8dCSl4IP_1403241408471gpaiadd.jpg

6OgyoHtq_1403241409051gpaiadd.jpg

Edited by wurstisart

On 3/15/2024 at 6:07 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I have nothing published by Fred, but I do have a pretty elaborate commission that is worthy of publication. Does that count?

Probably not, but enjoy it anyway. Click image for a better picture.

image.thumb.jpeg.64ed888a0da8f6a28aca6f3cbd8936c6.jpeg

Fun piece and like you said, a cover worthy commission.

And there are many worthy and fun commissions or cover redos out there, but the published pages and covers are rare or you simply don’t see many of them.

And my intention with this thread was to highlight the published pieces, but all good. Love that you contributed.

Lets see what other pieces of work show up 🍿

Posted (edited)

Here is a published cover by Fred Hembeck, an homage or spoof on the Daredevil 181 Cover by Frank Miller.
It is an early cover of the current IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series and unmistakably a Hembeck cover.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1445394

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

Edited by wurstisart