• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanguard Illustrated #2: Eight duplicate/incorrect pages! Anyone seen this before?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. First time posting a question here.
I just bought a second copy of Vanguard Illustrated #2 (Dave Stevens cover) but I was more than a little surprised to find that eight pages are duplicates! Where pages 5–8 should be, I see pages 9–12. This is repeated in the latter pages in the book. Where pages 25–28 should be, I see pages 21–24. See pics. My other copy of this book doesn't have this error.

Has anyone seen this sort of printing error before? I know from my graphic design background that this resulted from the wrong printing signatures being inserted before the book was stapled. Does this make this book more valuable, or just an oddity?

thanks, Russ

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Manufacturing errors are a small niche in the hobby, and the book is worth more to people who collect them.   It's a novelty that might make good trade material.  It's a fairly obscure Dave Stevens cover so the book is in demand.  Those errors are rare, but not many people chase them.

I mean 99% of collectors won't pay more for it but there is always that niche guy who might pony up extra. Personally I would be a tad annoyed that I don't have the whole story is all. I like maufacturing errors that don't affect that aspect of the comic.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean 99% of collectors won't pay more for it but there is always that niche guy who might pony up extra. Personally I would be a tad annoyed that I don't have the whole story is all. I like maufacturing errors that don't affect that aspect of the comic.

That's what people said about Marvel price variants until they didn't.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:18 PM, shadroch said:

That's what people said about Marvel price variants until they didn't.

Yeah I feel like with those price variants it was more a matter of understanding what they were and how rare they were. Was the knowledge about them there in the 80s and early 90s? I would think the internet helped advance the knowledge of them to more people, thus realizing the uniqueness and rarity of them and finally the desire to own them.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Agreed! This is why I’m glad I had a second copy! 😀