• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning/removing tape residue
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hello - I was referred to post in this board from a post I made in the signature series board.

Just got this back and words cannot describe how upset and disappointed I am.  The facilicator ruined what would have been a perfect signing by Mark Hamill.  I submitted a CGC 9.8 for this signing and and it came back with an 8.0 grade.  The primary reason for this grade on the grader notes is "tape residue on the front cover."  I gave them a perfect book to get signed, and it was ruined by their handlers by putting tape on the cover for the signing.  Who does that???  This massive error and misstep on the facilitator's part essentially rendered the book worthless.  Out of 336 copies of this book in the CGC census that are signed, only 2 of them are below a 9.8 grade (this is one of them, and the other has a 9.4 grade).

Anyone have experience with something like this before and how to handle it?  Any recourse you think I can take out of this?  And outside of dealing with the matter with the facilitator, does anyone have experience with tape residue and is that something that could be removed/cleaned to help bump back up the grade?  Would anyone have any pressers/cleaners that they could recommend?  I'd like to preserve the yellow label (if possible) and try to maximize my grade here given the circumstances.

CGC2748693-001_OBV.jpg

Edited by frank4713

Just to be clear, you used a third-party facilitator, or do you mean the internal CGC facilitator? 

Tape residue can be removed, but is not without some risks on modern books.  And if you have anyone perform it on your behalf other than CCS you going to loose the SS label.  So I think the options available to you are (assuming third party facilitator):  1) pursue remuneration for the full amount from the facilitator, or 2) reach out to CCS and see what they would charge for the tape residue removal; have them do the work; see what the book grades out at; deal with the facilitator for any loss of equity due to the tape residue both for the CCS work and any potential grade drop.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:19 AM, Paul Kosnik said:

Just to be clear, you used a third-party facilitator, or do you mean the internal CGC facilitator? 

Tape residue can be removed, but is not without some risks on modern books.  And if you have anyone perform it on your behalf other than CCS you going to loose the SS label.  So I think the options available to you are (assuming third party facilitator):  1) pursue remuneration for the full amount from the facilitator, or 2) reach out to CCS and see what they would charge for the tape residue removal; have them do the work; see what the book grades out at; deal with the facilitator for any loss of equity due to the tape residue both for the CCS work and any potential grade drop.

I used a third party facilitator that handled the latest Mark Hamill signing.  Luckily they're owning up to the issue and are going to try to get him to sign a second book for me the next time he has one.  I'll hold onto the book for now just in case that doesn't get scheduled, but I thought either way it'd be good to know how to potentially handle that if I ultimately have to keep this one and try to get it fixed.  I'll reach out to CCS about this for sure.  Thanks!