• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THUNDERCATS live movie directed by Adam Wingard rumored (TBD)

3 posts in this topic

• Director Adam Wingard is actively working on a Thundercats script draft with screenwriter Simon Barrett, aiming to stay true to the source material.
  • Wingard drew inspiration from Thundercats while filming Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire , incorporating visuals and shots from the animated series into the blockbuster.
  • The director revealed that the color palettes from Thundercats and Masters of the Universe also heavily influenced Godzilla x Kong .

Even though at this point the Thundercats movie is a see-it-to-believe-it kind of deal for longtime fans of the animated series, we've never been as close to getting one as we are right now. One of the most important people working on the project is director Adam Wingard, and during a press tour for his new movie Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, he talked to Collider about the status of the adaptation.

Wingard told our Editor-in-Chief Steve Weintraub that Thundercats "could be" his next project that comes to life. The filmmaker also revealed at what stage the project is in: "We're actively working on a draft right now, and it's cruising forward. It's super awesome. I’m really excited about it." The filmmaker added that he "was just talking with Simon [Barrett, screenwriter] about the script," which prompted Weintraub to ask about the tone of the movie. Will they lean into a more serious approach, or will it be a fun-first thing like Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves? Wingard had a response that certainly will make fans happy:

"Well, I think you have to have a little bit of both. You gotta take it seriously. In the cartoon, even though it was definitely for kids, the characters were in a fair amount of danger. I'm definitely still scarred from that one episode where Lion-O’s getting wrapped up in the mummy, the rope, and he's in the temple. That really messed me up as a kid. But yeah, I think any good adaptation these days is you’ve got to say as true to the source material as possible. That's what people really want, and that's sort of our goal. I mean, if you're doing something that's beyond being a kid’s cartoon, obviously you have to raise the stakes. So, yeah, it's got a little bit of both of that."

I hope this project goes through. It sounds like it's made of the right stuff. Though I think he's making a mistake dismissing the 2011 show. It was wonderful, very high quality. I still wish someone would fund a second season for it.