• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOSTON COPY OF SILVER SURFER 1 CGC 9.8

81 posts in this topic

CHECK IT OUT ON PEDIGREECOMICS.COM

an incredible copy

i cant believe there are not more 9.8's of this book as it was one of the 1968 marvels that would have been hoarded?? liek cap 100, iron man 1 etc

A nice copy with a straight spine to be sure, and no doubt the nicest copy out there, structurally, but, like many issues, the cover is printed slightly crooked. Getting this centered, straight, and with the spine flat and not printed on the front of the book has proved it to be a tough comic to find. This is not even mentioning problems with staples pushing through the covers. Not too many copies of this comic come back with white pages either, for some reason. Even this one is not white. So not only finding this in grade is difficult, but finding one that is printed properly is every bit as hard. Combine these two factors, and Cap 100, Iron Man 1, et al, cannot even begin to compare in difficulty. This is not to knock this copy at all, but just to answer your question from the perspective of someone who's always been on the look-out for a nice copy of this book.

Silver Surfer 1 Link

1030545-111surfer.jpg

1030545-111surfer.jpg.33b2705fcb9baa0961baa83f8da9cf45.jpg

i'd do a lot more with 250 K than acquire a piece of paper that 99.9% of the general population wouldn't recognize.

99.9 Percent of the population wouldnt recognize a Degas, a Vangogh or a Cezzane,...

recognizability has NOTHING to do with market prices in the art world !!!

KK

i'd do a lot more with 250 K than acquire a piece of paper that 99.9% of the general population wouldn't recognize.

99.9 Percent of the population wouldnt recognize a Degas, a Vangogh or a Cezzane,...

KK

Okay, I'll bite: If it's not the artist, and it's not the profile of the piece, then what determines the "market prices"? Or would you have us all believe that people shell out hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars for art based simply on aesthetic value alone?

And please, keep your dumbassery at a low roar. I have a headache.

KK

Umm... what don't u get? i'd spend my 250K elsewhere. got it?

but to continue the point u brought up, are u saying a degas, vangogh or cezzane is a piece of paper?

ask 99.9 percent of the population, whether they'd take that piece of OA or a degas?

KK

Cezanne, btw.

And I think that a far larger proportion of the population would appreciate that a Van Gogh is a work of fine art, while the OA page would look to them like the byproduct of the production process of a disposable pamphlet.

And quite often a rather ugly byproduct.

Ironically though I'd say that the amount of potential buyers for the Surfer 1 cover art and that Boston Surfer 1 CGC 9.8 (at that price) would be roughly the same.

About six. 27_laughing.gif

KK

Thank you for admitting how very small the art world is and how few people care. flowerred.gif

KK

Thank you for admitting how very small the art world is and how few people care. flowerred.gif

1021445-ban-cha.gif

KK

1021445-ban-cha.gif

That banana needs some musical accompaniment.

KK

Investing any real money into original art really scares me. I think we can all agree that most (if not all) of original art collectors were once avid comic book junkies. For some people it's a natural progression to the next phase of collecting. However, if the comic book community continues to shrink over the next decade or two, how big a demand will there be for original art.

For instance, if the current OA owners reach their retirement age, will there be a glut of new collectors willing to pay obsene prices to acquire these pieces? I can see the remaining collectors buying up the key GA (Action #1, DC #27, etc.) and SA books (AF #15, X-Men #1, etc.), but shelling out $250K for a piece of OA is pretty risky.