• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOSTON COPY OF SILVER SURFER 1 CGC 9.8

81 posts in this topic

The belief that OA cant survive without comics is erroneous. As long as the images are properly franchised. Spider-man,..Batman,..Wonder-Woman,..etc...the art has/ and will continue to transcend the comic medium.

I know I shouldn't, but I'll ask:

Who exactly are these phantom collectors who are discovering original art through superhero movies and franchising, as opposed to discovering it through comic collecting? Are there many examples of this phenomenon? confused-smiley-013.gif

Alright, how did you add the music? I could not figure out how to do it with HTML tags. Please educate me.

I tried using the same 'embed' tag Osborn used and it didn't work for me. I'm using Internet Explorer.

Oh, and please don't feed the troll (KK). He'll just keep coming back.

The belief that OA cant survive without comics is erroneous. As long as the images are properly franchised. Spider-man,..Batman,..Wonder-Woman,..etc...the art has/ and will continue to transcend the comic medium.

I know I shouldn't, but I'll ask:

Who exactly are these phantom collectors who are discovering original art through superhero movies and franchising, as opposed to discovering it through comic collecting? Are there many examples of this phenomenon? confused-smiley-013.gif

I honestly dont have data on this issue.

My point is that markets dont work in progressive-linear fashinions. Assuming that the pasts development of OA from comics is a necessary condition for continued development is exactly that,..an assumption. I believe this assumption is wrong.

I dont know where the money will flow from,...Japan ?,....Hollywood Movie Directors,...Hedge-funds,......some kid who saw Spider-man 'The Movie' with his dad when he was three and is the next Bill Gates,.......or even some low-level comic collector with some $$$. My point is simply that the image as art,..AND artifact,..transcends the the comic book and it is a myopic notion to assume that comic collecting is/ and will in the future continue to be the gateway to OA collecting.

KK

The belief that OA cant survive without comics is erroneous. As long as the images are properly franchised. Spider-man,..Batman,..Wonder-Woman,..etc...the art will transcend the comic medium.

Let's put it this way, and fast-forward 10 years into the future. The new $150 Million budget Silver Surfer movie hits theaters. A 17 year old teenager automatically falls in love with the character, and wants more. Their first impulse would be to visit a nearby LCS and purchase some modern SS books for his reading pleasure. If he's satisfied with these books, then he'll try and acquire some affordable back issues from the early 80's and 90's. Once he finshes college and has some money to burn, then he may purchase low grade copies of SS #1 and SS#4 for reading purposes. Eventually, he may or may not move on to purchasing HG slabs to add to his collection. Even if they decide to pick-up some original art, it won't happen until years and years of comic book collecting.

I just don't feel we can produce and nourish future kids to continue acquiring OA like the current owners, who were once (and still are) major comic book collectors. I seriously doubt that the kid would look into acquiring original art right after watching a movie and having just been introduced to the character.

Who in their right mind that has never bought a comic book or was not at one time a comic book collector would just randomly shell out 5, 10 50 or 200k for original art

Who in their right mind that has never bought a comic book or was not at one time a comic book collector would just randomly shell out 5, 10 50 or 200k for original art

You know I believe there could be corporate buyers, who would do so, if cover is notable. Say AF #15, Action 1, Detective 1 or Detective 27. I don't believe they would shell much beyond out 500K, but who knows. Not KK, that's for sure.

You guys are thinking of this by looking at the past. Events are more fluid and random than you guys give history credit for. Moreover,...EGO and STATUS demand more than VG- copies. Lastly,...you guys are thinking as one with limited cash flow,..not everybody is a poor schmuck.

KK

If comic book collecting continues to decline in the future, then OA will be the first casualty.

Agreed. How esoteric can you get? It's a very small part of the hobby with insane prices that few people can afford. It's a bubble waiting to be popped. devil.gif

Alright, how did you add the music? I could not figure out how to do it with HTML tags. Please educate me.

Add this to your post:

<embed SRC="http://www.afcsat.com/mid/Discoinf.mid" hidden="true" autostart="true" loop="true">

and select "using HTML and UBBCode"

Thanks to Chromium for his help.

Add this to your post:

<embed SRC="http://www.afcsat.com/mid/Discoinf.mid" hidden="true" autostart="true" loop="true">

we really have "kings of computers" in Europe but not me frustrated.gif

Add this to your post:

How about some better tunes 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1 Jump Around - House Of Pain

2 Buddy Holly - Weezer

3 Ball Tongue - Korn

4 [embarrassing lack of self control] - Sevendust

5 Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground

6 Hells Bells - AC/DC

7 People Of The Sun - Rage Against The Machine

to name a few confused-smiley-013.gif

You guys are thinking of this by looking at the past. Events are more fluid and random than you guys give history credit for. Moreover,...EGO and STATUS demand more than VG- copies. Lastly,...you guys are thinking as one with limited cash flow,..not everybody is a poor schmuck.

KK

Absolutely. After comic books, original art is the best investment you can make. Anything related to comics can only increase in value as time goes by.

Add this to your post:

Thanks, I see where I was making my mistake - no autostart. I appreciate it.