• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BID / ASK ---- ALWAYS HIT THE ASK

59 posts in this topic

You bozos just don't get it. That is okay by me.

But mark my words, "we are in a bull market" with prized OA like Amazing Spiderman covers by Ditko and Romita below issue # 62 going to be worth millions of dollars.

If you don't hit the ASK and you keep waiting for your low BIDS to make the deal happen, your gonna miss out.

Remember, throw bags of money at the asking price and you might be the top of the market for a short bit but in the LONG run, 10 years out...you will have the last laugh

KK

Oh, for God's sake...just shut up. How many times have you written, "Just through bags of cash at it, it's a bull market and you're all making mistakes"....only to write in another thread "I'd have bought it myself, but I couldn't get up the juice". GO AWAY!!

You bozos just don't get it. That is okay by me.

But mark my words, "we are in a bull market" with prized OA like Amazing Spiderman covers by Ditko and Romita below issue # 62 going to be worth millions of dollars.

If you don't hit the ASK and you keep waiting for your low BIDS to make the deal happen, your gonna miss out.

Remember, throw bags of money at the asking price and you might be the top of the market for a short bit but in the LONG run, 10 years out...you will have the last laugh

KK

I'm with KrazyKat on this one. Sometimes it pays to make an offer on a piece you want really badly. Sometimes, if you don't and you go the bidding route, you'll lose the piece only to have it come up for sale later for less than what you could have bought it for if you'd only made a high offer. I've done it more than once and it works a lot of times. Many of those times I haven't and I've tried to win by bidding, but have come up short, only to see the piece go for three or four times what I could have gotten it for ... if only I'd asked and made an offer.

Now, we can get into the lack of ethics surrounding this practice and discuss it all day long. However, I'm one who believes that if you want something, go for it. Not trying to be harsh at all, and I hope I don't offend anyone with my stance, but it's like this: I'm not in this to make sure my art collecting buddies get a fair shot at a piece I really, really want. I'm in it to put art I want in my collection and I don't want to chance losing a piece I can't live without.

And it is true that many of the pieces we're buying today are going to increase several times over in the next few years. As comic-books-as-literature classes spring up at college campuses all over the country and comics get wider exposure, you can expect art prices to escalate at a steady pace. I've seen art sell for under $100, then, only a year or two later, sell for hundreds of dollars. I've also seen art sell cheap, then go for thousands only a couple years later, so what KK says has some validity.

One mans ridiculous is another man's reasonable. Action1kid,...I am telling you,....OA will soar to amazing heights. It has only just begun. I predict the catalyst will be when Romita, Ditko, Lee,..etc ..pass away......WATCH, SEE, LEARN !!!!

KK

One mans ridiculous is another man's reasonable. Action1kid,...I am telling you,....OA will soar to amazing heights. It has only just begun. I predict the catalyst will be when Romita, Ditko, Lee,..etc ..pass away......WATCH, SEE, LEARN !!!!

KK

Just look at what has happened over the past decade and a half as older artists like Kirby, Aparo, Buscema and other have died how their art has increased in value to extremely high amounts. Even though Aparo wasn't doing a whole lot of art in the last few years before he died, when he passed away prices on many pieces of his art jumped in value. I can remember when Kirby pages and covers were fairly cheap compared to what they are now. Wow. Buscema Conans... I remember when they were very cheap and now they're outrageously expensive. That's the best example I can give. I wanted to buy a Conan cover by JB but thought $500 was too much. Recently, I saw a cover from around the same time sell for $2500! That's a big markup. Gil Kane art was the same way. You could buy his stuff fairly cheap, then, when he died it skyrocketed.

I'm not saying it's going to take artists dying off for the art market to get even more expensive than it already is. I'm saying you can count on prices to keep escalating by leaps and bounds. This is a fairly unknown market to many people, many of which would probably buy original art if they even knew the market existed. Sure, they see it on eBay, but many people still think what is being sold is prints. There's not enough understanding nor visibility out there yet, but when that comes about, count on prices shooting up remarkably.

As more and more people enter the hobby, prices will go up until one day, comic art will be sold as fine art. It's only a matter of time. That's why I'm holding onto my sweet covers and splashes, because I don't want to have to buy them all over again at multiples of multiples of the price I'd get now from them.

KK

Just look at what has happened over the past decade and a half as older artists like Kirby, Aparo, Buscema and other have died how their art has increased in value to extremely high amounts. Even though Aparo wasn't doing a whole lot of art in the last few years before he died, when he passed away prices on many pieces of his art jumped in value. I can remember when Kirby pages and covers were fairly cheap compared to what they are now. Wow. Buscema Conans... I remember when they were very cheap and now they're outrageously expensive. That's the best example I can give. I wanted to buy a Conan cover by JB but thought $500 was too much. Recently, I saw a cover from around the same time sell for $2500! That's a big markup. Gil Kane art was the same way. You could buy his stuff fairly cheap, then, when he died it skyrocketed.

I'm not saying it's going to take artists dying off for the art market to get even more expensive than it already is. I'm saying you can count on prices to keep escalating by leaps and bounds. This is a fairly unknown market to many people, many of which would probably buy original art if they even knew the market existed. Sure, they see it on eBay, but many people still think what is being sold is prints. There's not enough understanding nor visibility out there yet, but when that comes about, count on prices shooting up remarkably.

As more and more people enter the hobby, prices will go up until one day, comic art will be sold as fine art. It's only a matter of time. That's why I'm holding onto my sweet covers and splashes, because I don't want to have to buy them all over again at multiples of multiples of the price I'd get now from them.

All we need is some juicy P.R.

If we can get PR,...like some News stories,....or a Movie in which OA is semi-prominent (I told you all about Kevin Smith wanting to use my X-Men #1 Cover in his next movie),.......we will be off to the races !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wholeheartedly agree that there are many who dont know about OA,..the market is small,..and will only grooooooow.

KK

Can any of you guys say "speculative bubble?" yeahok.gif

Bronty,..you are so wrong its not funny. At present,...almost all OA is in the hands of collector's who wont sell their pieces for prices you seem to think are high.

The truth of the matter is that the speculators havent even arrived,................................................................yet.

For the artwork to reach the prices [you suggest] its going to have to be from a KEY BOOK,probably have to be from a GOLDENAGE BOOK and his name would have to be SHUSTER who drew it. That is if your talking about over 500k and more.

What about Ditko ASM Covers ????,...or my Captain America # 1 ???Cover,.....

or my Kirby X-Men # 1 Cover,.....????????????????,....or my Avengers # 4 Cover ????

..........If you think they'd sell for less than 500K you are KrAzY

You are MERELY biased because you are an action1kid,....Superman is great,..and I love him,....but his fan base isnt as big as Spider-man.

the problem with alotta your reasoning is that you are biased based on your own habits,...and alotta these kooks from the comic board are mucking up yout thinking,

Stick with my reasoning,..I wont lead you wrong.

I am a PROPHET and a GENIUS and,...ahead of the curve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KK

What about Ditko ASM Covers ????,...or my Captain America # 1 ???Cover,.....

or my Kirby X-Men # 1 Cover,.....????????????????,....or my Avengers # 4 Cover ????

..........If you think they'd sell for less than 500K you are KrAzY

Oh I see, and you of course are not biased. Is that it?

Action1kid,

I know THE BEST when I see it. Always have. I possess what they call,...'An Eye for Beauty'.

If you dont think any of the above will go for above 500K you are DEAD WRONG !

I have already been offered way over 500K for some of my items,..and turned them down.

You are,..relatively new to OA,??,..no ???

I have my finger on the pulse. Resistance is futile.

kk

ps - A randoM Cover,..Batman # 11 gets 200K,...and you find it difficult to believe an iconic image like AF #15,..or X-Men #1 wont break $1 Million ? I say several $Millions.....

KK